B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

A4 Steering Wheel Vibration Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by proforged
Anyway, long story short, he said that the Pirelli's either come in a good batch or a crap batch...and we have a crap batch...despite his efforts he could not get them in balance...so they are being replaced one way or another.
Wheel vibration for me starts at about 60mph, not the avant, plain ol' AWD 2.0T.

I'm on Goodyear tires, not Pirelli.

The other vibration I notice seems to be a power steering issue or something, like when first pulling out of a parking (lot) spot. Severe rumble.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:40 AM
Default same problem with my A4 Sedan

I have an A4 B8 Sedan, made 2008 Oct. From the first few weeks getting my car, the steering wheel is already intermittently making this crazy vibration. It doesn't happen everytime, but almost on a daily basis especially at a stationary position when the steering wheel is turned on reverse parking on my smooth concrete surface carpark.

I brought my car back to the dealer. The sales person said he has never experienced on any of the A4s. One service repairer says it happens to "quite a few A4s". The other service repairer at another dealer says "it happens in every single A4 B8, and this is a FEATURE of the car". This is obviously NOT true as a friend of mine who bought the exact same car as me has had no problem like this at all. What kind of rubbish is this.

I have yet experienced vibration at high speed yet (God no!), but wonder with time what this vibration will do to the car. But even now, the vibration and the noise it makes is so apparent that everytime it happens, my friends/family will ask me whether I've done something to the steering wheel.

I rang Audi Australia, and over the phone they said they are not aware of this problem and they "will investigate". I certainly hope they will, because if they don't fix it up, I will return the car to them for full refund, and make sure this FEATURE be known to all car magazines.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:13 PM
Default Problem Continues

I have the low speed steering vibration also. It coincides with turns made when the RPMs are low (automatic), particularly when slowing for a sharp turn going downhill. Audi tried to fix it with an new steering hose that was a factory fix and the problem went away for a short period of time. It is now back and I meet with the area service supervisor next week. I am a long time Audi customer and I do not want this car any more. It steers like a 20 year old Malibu with a bad PS pump! This is the first problem I have had with an Audi, but it just about has me ready to go to BMW.

Jerry

Old 02-24-2010, 10:10 AM
Banned

maybe it's the ESP kicking in. try with the esp off. push the esp button so the "slippery" symbol is showing.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:34 AM
Default Vibration Frustration

Bought my Audi A4 SE Avant (Oct 2008) about a year ago. After about a month of driving it I noticed a vibration coming from the steering wheel. Audi initally looked at the issue and ended up replacing the steering rack recognising it as a genuine problem. This seemed to resolve the vibration for about a month until it resurfaced again. This time I reported the fault to another dealership closer to me who examined the new rack and found it to be faulty raising the issue as a CAT 1 to Audi UK. I had to wait for about 4 months for a reply whilst they were investigating the problem after which they had the car back to the dealership for a week to try and rectify the problem. At the end of the week they were told by Audi UK not to work on the car any longer and inform me that this is a characteristic of the car. Interesting that the dealership told me that no other cars have demonstrated this problem so how could it be a characteristic. The report from the dealership states that the senior engineer working on the car believed there to be a fundamental flaw with the rack. I've now raised a complaint to Audi UK but they are still insisting this is a characteristic of the car. Even if it is safe as Audi assure us, this will most certainly add depreciation when I come to sell.

Didn't Toyota also state that there problems had no safety implications?!

Old 02-25-2010, 07:59 AM

I have tried without ESP, but it did not help.

I could explain the problem in hydrodynamic terms if it was not intermittent. it would be not enough fluid getting to the rack at sufficient pressure to assist the motion. The fact that it is intermittent leads me to believe that it is in the electronic control part of the system, rather than the hydraulics, and this is what has me worried about the safety aspects of the system. Predictability in steering is vital to control, and if the Servotronic system were to alter the ratio unexpectedly at high speed it is a real problem.

This is not an isolated issue with Audi. The loaner car my dealer gave me while my hose was being replaced had the same problem and they have had at least 2 other complaints locally.

This seems to be a problem that is noticeable only with cars equipped with the automatic transmission. On my car I feel it only when RPMs are under 1800 and steering effort is high. We have 12 slow roundabouts on my side of town and entering them is a typical steering vibration event.

Jerry

Old 02-27-2010, 06:28 PM

My steering wheel vibration was fixed today at my Audi dealership. They said they ordered a new Power Steering Hose from Germany and replace my current one with it, which fixed the vibration issue. So far so good, test drove it and no more issue! hopefully it wont happen again later down the line...!

Old 09-15-2010, 11:11 PM
Default Same steering wheel issue, low speed shudder

I have a 2010 A4 2.0T CVT. I first noticed the issue days after getting the car and thought it was just the tires breaking in or something.This was almost a year ago but recently it had gotten worse, sounding like a old car with a worn out power steering pump. This only occurred while backing out of a parking space and having to reverse and pull forward to the left or right. They replaced a power-steering hose and that seemed to do the trick. However, I did notice that the steering wheel assist seemed to be a bit toned down. As in, I required slightly more effort to turn the wheel. I kind of like it though. It gives the car a solid feel. I don't know if the hose did that or if they adjusted something else. They just told me that they replaced a hose. Oh, and they also mentioned that the vibration issue would never really " go away". This was the dealer in Downtown Los Angeles if anyone is interested. I plan to head straight back there if the issue comes back, but hopefully it won't. So far I can't feel the shudder one bit. Even when turning the wheel at a standstill or very low speeds end to end and cramming into a spot way to tight for my taste. (only because the entire lot had no empty spaces)

Old 10-17-2013, 06:57 PM
1st Gear

hi all, my 2010 A4 has the same problems. The dealership says ITS NORMAL

but that is a load of bullshit...we've all driven many cars and this is not normal and especially not a luxury car. Also the loaner car they gave me is an exact one and it is much smoother, it does not have those vibrations. So obviously its NOT NORMAL!

So what is our solution as a group?? since this is happening to alot of us, there has to be some legal action we can take against audi. if these are defective problems, they either have to fix it or return our money or give us a new car. yes that is going to cost them but oh well...we shouldnt have to put up with this!

like someone said, this will be an issue when i sell the car! how can i explain this to a new buyer ??

Old 08-05-2015, 01:27 AM
1st Gear
Default Hi

Originally Posted by sbarzandeh
hi all, my 2010 A4 has the same problems. The dealership says ITS NORMAL

but that is a load of bullshit...we've all driven many cars and this is not normal and especially not a luxury car. Also the loaner car they gave me is an exact one and it is much smoother, it does not have those vibrations. So obviously its NOT NORMAL!

So what is our solution as a group?? since this is happening to alot of us, there has to be some legal action we can take against audi. if these are defective problems, they either have to fix it or return our money or give us a new car. yes that is going to cost them but oh well...we shouldnt have to put up with this!

like someone said, this will be an issue when i sell the car! how can i explain this to a new buyer ??

Did you ever fix it