B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

Aftermarket NAV on an A4 Avant (B8) possible?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 07:51 AM
Default Aftermarket NAV on an A4 Avant (B8) possible?

Hi,

Is it possible to install an aftermarket (double din) NAV system in an A4 Avant ( B8 ) with a concert system? It looks like the opening is not quite double din. Has anyone made modifications to create a larger opening, and moved the climate control module down lower?

I assume if I go the aftermarket route, I loose the information screen (car menu, etc.), or is there a way around this?

Thanks in advance,
Rim

Old 02-14-2010, 10:44 AM

Not sure about an aftermarket nav in the radio slot, but if you go to

http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/product.ph...3&cat=0&page=1

they sell a kit that makes the screen a multi-input display and you can connect up a dvd player, backup camera, nav system, etc. I fired off a bunch of technical install questions to them and they were great about answering and providing even more info than was in their well-written install directions. Didn't get around to putting in the kit because I got deployed, but I will probably do it after I get back. I asked my dealer about the kit and he said he was aware of it and that another owner had done it and it worked great. In the mean time, I was using a garmin stuck on the windshield and that works fine.

It's all snapping in of wiring harnesses, and no cutting or splicing of wires required.

Good luck

Old 02-14-2010, 02:42 PM

Thanks, that's a great idea but I want a touchscreen NAV, so I was hoping to be able to retrofit one into the existing opening somehow...

Rim

Old 03-24-2010, 07:01 AM

Found this on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=300406431095

Looks good but haven't tried it

Old 03-24-2010, 07:03 AM

Double post

Old 04-20-2010, 08:22 AM

does this car link thing work on non navi b8's? and can you watch movies? thanks

Old 05-18-2010, 02:23 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by rimb05
Hi,

Is it possible to install an aftermarket (double din) NAV system in an A4 Avant ( B8 ) with a concert system? It looks like the opening is not quite double din. Has anyone made modifications to create a larger opening, and moved the climate control module down lower?

I assume if I go the aftermarket route, I loose the information screen (car menu, etc.), or is there a way around this?

Thanks in advance,
Rim
Hi Rim,
The answer to your question is YES, and you do not lose any functionality.
I have researched this extensively and have found a chinese factory that makes them for the local market. (The "local" market for Audis in china is enormous)
I have installed it successfully in my Q5 with symphony radio, and it will fit in any A4 (B8), A5, or Q5 with Concert or Symphony. That is, any of these cars with the 6.5 inch display and the universal control **** in the centre of the radio unit and NOT to the rear of the gear lever. The unit is "blind" in that it has no screen, but is connected between the existing radio and the screen. It comes with a clear film that inserts into the front of the existing display and converts it into a touch screen. It also gives you GPS (any that run on WIN CE), bluetooth phone (you may already have this, I have disabled it on this new unit), USB & SD card players for music, video, photos, e-books, an AV input with controls for a DVD player, video and power outputs for rear headrest screens, and can accept a reversing camera if you want. Sound is output from a small speaker for GPS and phone but it integrates with your AUX or AMI input if you want to use the AV features.
The units are essentially "plug and play" in that everything plugs into original wiring looms and no wires need to be cut, but there are a few hours of "play" needed to install one.
I like this unit enough that I am about to gauge interest and probably import a bunch of them to re-sell. I have written extensive installation instructions and am rewriting the manual in first-language English, leaving out some of the more fanciful concepts in the chinese translated version.

PM me if you are interested, I'll formally put out some sort of advertising / requests for interest on all the Audi forums I can think of in the next week or so.

cheers,