B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

Creaking sound under front seats

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 09:56 PM
Default Creaking sound under front seats

Hi all,

I have the 2009 A4 B8 2.7TDI CVT Sedan which arrived early April this year. Fantastic drive I must say.

I have taken it in once for a check-up for a few 'issues':

- MMI screen brightness flickers, seemingly when wipers are set to auto-sensing and are active. Audi couldn't find the cause, but ordered and replaced the MMI screen without question. No repeat so far.

- Drive seems a bit rough (pulling back when releasing the accelerator at low speed and jumping forward when pressing the accelerator also at low speed) - almost as if you were driving a manual. Audi couldn't find the cause, and this only happens at low speeds in the morning. Could just be car warming up. No big deal for me.

- Creaking sound from below both front seats. If you sit on either seat, and place your feet towards the bottom of the seats, there will be a creaking sound as you push down/lift up your feet. This also occurs if you are sitting at the back, and place your feet again towards the bottom of the front seats. Audi removed the seats but couldn't find the cause, and said there is no safety issue (seems to be a standard line). They also said other A4s are similar in this 'issue', something to do with the vents??. I haven't been in many other B9s, but the one I had when mine was in for check-up did have creaky floors, although does not seem as bad as mine.

Anyone had a similar experience? Perhaps how to minimise/eradicate the creaking? This little annoyance does take a little away from the overall brilliant experience of the car.

Cheers.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:04 PM

Ive also noticed the "lurching" at slow speeds. I have written it off as the car learning my driving patterns and/or the car warming up. Seems to be doing it less now that I have had the car for a while.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:12 AM

Hi guys,

Thought I would give you an update with regards to this. After the initial appointment with the service centre (where they said this was not a safety issue), I contacted Audi Australia (direct) to find out more. The guy there has been really good and firstly told me to contact the service centre again and ask for the car to be assessed by Audi Australia (not dealer).

This was done and the representative authorised further investigation and work on the car. When I brought it in to the service centre, they removed the two front seats, ripped up the carpet, and apparently used foam to insulate the vents under the carpet as best they could. The result is....VERY slight improvement on the driver's side, and no improvement whatsoever on the front passenger side.

Talked to Audi Australia again, and said I am not satisfied with the outcome. The guy asked me to write a letter, but I put it on him to escalate this through internal management since he had a history of the case. He said that upon investigation of various service centres around the country, there IS now a known issue with regards to the creaking sound, with all cars in the A4 B8 range showing this issue.

He mentioned that I could ask for some compensation or gesture of good will. I said that I wasn't after any money, but the outcome I want is to have a car which I am fully satisfied with given my expectations regarding build quality from the Audi brand. This means that even a replacement (not that they offered) would not resolve the issue.

I have left it with the guy to see what he can come up with after speaking with his management. I'm not sure what other options can be considered, and I don't really want to go so far as to ask for a full refund, or even a replacement car in another range.

Will wait for a call back and see. In the meantime, if anyone has any ideas or suggestions, that would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:46 PM

An update guys.

Just had a meeting today with the Regional Aftersales Manager for Audi Australia (David Kennedy). He sat in the A4 and told me that the continued creaking sound from the driver side is acceptable, whilst on the passenger side it is unacceptable. After a long and heated discussion, he agreed for the car to be looked at again next week, with more attempts to fix the problem.

But he went on to say that if both sides still creaked, it is a 'characteristic' of the A4 B8 range as they now know that other cars have the same problem, and is common across the range. He argued that everything can potentially make a creaking sound, and also that I test drove the car so I should be aware of its 'characteristics'. I replied that this 'characteristic' was never presented to me, and was not evident in the test drive. I said that the car is not as I expected, or as I test drove, and hence is unacceptable.

My view is that contractually (implied), I did not receive goods as represented to me. David is unwilling to admit that a replacement is warranted as he openly says that he is unable to go back to head office and articulate/justify the problem.

My experience so far is disappointing to say the least. Additionally, as a corporate customer, I am eligible for pick-up and free courtesy car. However, the dealership has always mentioned that courtesy cars are generally unavailable, and if they are there is a daily charge for this (!).

At the end of the day, I have confirmation from Audi that this is a 'characteristic' common in the B8 range. I am wondering if this is common knowledge, and whether I should disseminate this information to the wider car community in Australia (and beyond).

Old 09-03-2009, 02:21 AM
4th Gear

I would... see what happens.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:37 AM

What's a good avenue to distribute this to the wider community?

I am not looking to post anything negative, but really want to highlight the potential issue to those who are looking to buy one. And if it's common in the whole range, hopefully it will lead to some improvement if nothing else.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:08 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by evanlau
At the end of the day, I have confirmation from Audi that this is a 'characteristic' common in the B8 range. I am wondering if this is common knowledge, and whether I should disseminate this information to the wider car community in Australia (and beyond).
Might be an isolated issue....I've had my B8 for almost a year and 14k miles now with absolutely no creaks, squeaks or rattles. I frequent several other Audi forums and have never heard of this issue before. Good luck in getting it resolved.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:41 PM

Thanks for that. It is good to get feedback from those who have had their cars for a while.

Not so isolated here apparently as the Audi guys say they have come across quite a few, and also since the regional aftersales manager says that it is a 'characteristic' (i.e. known issue).

Old 09-04-2009, 01:56 AM
4th Gear

Actually? I'd grab a lawyer and force them to admit it in court.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:38 PM

Hi all,

Just posting an update. Sent the car into the dealership yesterday for another round. Got the call in the afternoon and went to collect the car. They seem to have fixed the creaking under the seats through a combination of drilling/screwing and insulation.

The disappointing thing was that David Kennedy (regional aftersales manager) was not around when I picked up the car. The last time I was in, he committed to be there when I picked up the car, but apparently he had something else to do and seemed confident that all would be acceptable.

Anyway, basically mixed experiences with Audi. Still love the car, but seems that they are a little bit light on when it comes to after sales support in Australia. Not sure if I would buy another Audi in the future, or recommend it to someone else. The car would have to be absolutely top in its class for me to take the risk of another experience like this.