B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

Error code P2681 after washing the car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 02:08 PM
1st Gear
Default Error code P2681 after washing the car?

Hi audi forums!

I've had this problem a couple of days now and i cant seem to figure out the problem.. After washing my car the other day, i noticed the check engine light was on.. I tried my cheapish OBD scanner, and it reported an error - P2681.

Anyone here familiar with that error code and could possibly steer me in the right direction?

Thanks for your time and have a wonderful weekend.

Old 01-07-2017, 10:22 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Matias Nielsen
Hi audi forums!

I've had this problem a couple of days now and i cant seem to figure out the problem.. After washing my car the other day, i noticed the check engine light was on.. I tried my cheapish OBD scanner, and it reported an error - P2681.

Anyone here familiar with that error code and could possibly steer me in the right direction?

Thanks for your time and have a wonderful weekend.
The inter net is your friend

P2681 - OBD-II Trouble Code | BestRide.com
bestride.com › Engine Trouble Codes
Engine Coolant Bypass Valve Control Circuit/Open. This code indicates that the PCM (or one of the other supporting control modules) has detected an error in the engine coolant bypass valve control circuit. ... In the event of an engine coolant bypass valve control circuit error, a ...

Old 01-08-2017, 03:11 AM
1st Gear

I already found that link. I was hoping for someone who could tell me a bit more. Does it simply Mean that i should replace the engine coolant control valve? Is there a place where i can find the part?

Old 01-12-2017, 12:47 PM
2nd Gear

Yeah, that error code is not super helpful. It would be nice to know if you have noticed any other issues in regards to your engine, like overheating.

I would narrow my search down to the cooling system (obviously). I'm not familiar with an Engine Coolant Bypass Valve on our Audi. I searched and found tons on other cars but for us it always comes down to these things:
1. Waterpump
2. Thermostat
3. Temp sensor
4. hoses / radiator (check for clogs, leaks, etc)

1-3 is always on my list to replace whenever I run into engine heating issues (either overheating or heating up poorly).

Good luck.

Old 01-12-2017, 12:51 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by sheldon
Yeah, that error code is not super helpful. It would be nice to know if you have noticed any other issues in regards to your engine, like overheating.

I would narrow my search down to the cooling system (obviously). I'm not familiar with an Engine Coolant Bypass Valve on our Audi. I searched and found tons on other cars but for us it always comes down to these things:
1. Waterpump
2. Thermostat
3. Temp sensor
4. hoses / radiator (check for clogs, leaks, etc)

1-3 is always on my list to replace whenever I run into engine heating issues (either overheating or heating up poorly).

Good luck.
Thanks for the response. My mechanic removed the error, as he couldnt seem to figure out If there was a problem or not..

Its only been one day but the CEL is still gone..

Old 01-30-2017, 03:48 PM
3rd Gear

I'm glad your mechanic took that approach. It's possible the electronics were wet by the carwash and caused the code. Since there are no other negative symptoms, clearing it to see if it returns is a smart first step. Keep an eye on the temperature gauge for a while.

Old 01-30-2017, 03:51 PM
1st Gear

As i told earlier he removed the error code.. shortly after the EPC light (i believe) came on, and the engine was limited to 4000 RPM... and could barely accelerate.. It was a sensor that was faulty and it is now working! On the other hand, i just lost left xenon light... There's always something.........

Old 11-06-2017, 06:59 AM
1st Gear
Default P268100 Code & Running Sluggish!

Originally Posted by Matias Nielsen
As i told earlier he removed the error code.. shortly after the EPC light (i believe) came on, and the engine was limited to 4000 RPM... and could barely accelerate.. It was a sensor that was faulty and it is now working! On the other hand, i just lost left xenon light... There's always something.........

HI I've got the same problem with my car my EML has come on with P268100 code bypass valve put my car is also running very sluggish and I've to really eccelerate to get it to go anyway, over revving all the time? Which sensor was broken on yours and did it stop your car from being sluggish?