AudiForums.com

Go Back   AudiForums.com > Audi Models > Audi A4 > B8 Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos FAQ Members Parts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read ExperienceGarageUsed CarsVendor Directory
Search
Welcome to AudiForums.com

B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-19-2009, 09:01 AM
1st Gear

Default "Gearbox malfunction" error message due to defective "transmission filter"

I have a 2009 A4 2.0T with 11,000 miles on it. Over the past couple of weeks the car has been slightly "jerky" with the shifts of the automatic transmission, which I didn't necessarily pay much attention to (it wasn't that terribly noticeable).

Anyway, this weekend an error message popped up on the dash saying, "Gearbox malfunction - limited driving available", coinciding with a temporary inability to get the car to move when the shifter was in the R position."

Took it to the dealer and after a day and a half of investigating, they determined I have a faulty "transmission filter." Anyone know what that is? (A filter for the transmission fluid?)

Unfortunately, they said the part is out of stock, on back-order, and may take up to 4 weeks to get one. Not sure why a "transmission filter" would be such a rare item. Seems like they could go to the assembly line and steal one....
Old 12-22-2009, 06:45 PM

Default Gearbox malfunction" error message due to defective "transmission filter

I just had this exact same thing. on my 2009 Audi A4 3.2.
First they thought it was the shifter selonoid not making contact and not sending the signal to the transmission control unit. So they changed that.

Now, they say it's the transmission filter and it's on back order for 10 days. They will have to order it from Germany!!

Hopefully that'll fix it.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:03 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomGuy View Post
I just had this exact same thing. on my 2009 Audi A4 3.2.
First they thought it was the shifter selonoid not making contact and not sending the signal to the transmission control unit. So they changed that.

Now, they say it's the transmission filter and it's on back order for 10 days. They will have to order it from Germany!!

Hopefully that'll fix it.
Wow. Clearly some sort of design flaw going on here... I'm hoping it doesn't take the worst-case-scenario 4 weeks the dealer warned me about. I can't be without an iPod hookup for that long...
Old 12-31-2009, 07:27 AM
1st Gear

Well, the "transmission filter" finally arrived at the dealer. Unfortunately, according to them, it was the correct box with the wrong part inside. So they are still waiting for the part to arrive. My car has now been at the dealer for TWO WEEKS.

Seems insane to have to wait 2+ weeks for a filter...

The A4 is a great car, but in it's first year it has been the most problematic car I have ever owned. (Many other minor issues throughout the year).
Old 01-10-2010, 12:34 AM

Default All fixed up!

Ok, so I finally got my car. Changing the transmission filter must have done it. I've been driving the car for at least 5 days and no issue whatsoever.

Actually, talking to the technical guy at Audi, they have actually issued a new technical bulletin based on the symptoms that my car was exhibiting and recommending replacing the transimission filter.

Cheers to all and happy driving!
Old 01-10-2010, 12:34 AM

Tags
2009, a4, audi, box, control, error, filter, gear, gearbox, jerky, malfuction, malfunction, message, transmission, tt, unit