B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

"Gearbox malfunction" error message due to defective "transmission filter"

Old 12-19-2009, 09:01 AM
1st Gear
Default "Gearbox malfunction" error message due to defective "transmission filter"

I have a 2009 A4 2.0T with 11,000 miles on it. Over the past couple of weeks the car has been slightly "jerky" with the shifts of the automatic transmission, which I didn't necessarily pay much attention to (it wasn't that terribly noticeable).

Anyway, this weekend an error message popped up on the dash saying, "Gearbox malfunction - limited driving available", coinciding with a temporary inability to get the car to move when the shifter was in the R position."

Took it to the dealer and after a day and a half of investigating, they determined I have a faulty "transmission filter." Anyone know what that is? (A filter for the transmission fluid?)

Unfortunately, they said the part is out of stock, on back-order, and may take up to 4 weeks to get one. Not sure why a "transmission filter" would be such a rare item. Seems like they could go to the assembly line and steal one....

Old 12-22-2009, 06:45 PM
Default Gearbox malfunction" error message due to defective "transmission filter

I just had this exact same thing. on my 2009 Audi A4 3.2.
First they thought it was the shifter selonoid not making contact and not sending the signal to the transmission control unit. So they changed that.

Now, they say it's the transmission filter and it's on back order for 10 days. They will have to order it from Germany!!

Hopefully that'll fix it.

Old 12-23-2009, 06:03 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by TomGuy
I just had this exact same thing. on my 2009 Audi A4 3.2.
First they thought it was the shifter selonoid not making contact and not sending the signal to the transmission control unit. So they changed that.

Now, they say it's the transmission filter and it's on back order for 10 days. They will have to order it from Germany!!

Hopefully that'll fix it.
Wow. Clearly some sort of design flaw going on here... I'm hoping it doesn't take the worst-case-scenario 4 weeks the dealer warned me about. I can't be without an iPod hookup for that long...

Old 12-31-2009, 07:27 AM
1st Gear

Well, the "transmission filter" finally arrived at the dealer. Unfortunately, according to them, it was the correct box with the wrong part inside. So they are still waiting for the part to arrive. My car has now been at the dealer for TWO WEEKS.

Seems insane to have to wait 2+ weeks for a filter...

The A4 is a great car, but in it's first year it has been the most problematic car I have ever owned. (Many other minor issues throughout the year).

Old 01-10-2010, 12:34 AM
Default All fixed up!

Ok, so I finally got my car. Changing the transmission filter must have done it. I've been driving the car for at least 5 days and no issue whatsoever.

Actually, talking to the technical guy at Audi, they have actually issued a new technical bulletin based on the symptoms that my car was exhibiting and recommending replacing the transimission filter.

Cheers to all and happy driving!

Old 07-27-2015, 02:50 AM
1st Gear

Hello guys,
at 70,000 km, and it is a damn hot summer this year, plus 35-40 C I have received on my Audi A 7, FTSI Sport back a message Gearbox Malfunction Limited Driving( You may continue driving). The car wouldn't go more than 50 km per hour... Took it to mechanics, done the check up for transmission oil and temperature level , all was at its norm... Than, the mechanic tried to do some technical adaptation on the road, the warning sigh came up again... The computer doesn't show the clutch temperature for some reason... Now, the mechanic wants to order the clutch temperature detector... Hopefully it will help to eliminate the problem... Very upset ((( Love my baby so much

Old 06-30-2016, 02:18 PM
1st Gear
Default Gear box malfunction?

Originally Posted by Dear Darling
Hello guys,
at 70,000 km, and it is a damn hot summer this year, plus 35-40 C I have received on my Audi A 7, FTSI Sport back a message Gearbox Malfunction Limited Driving( You may continue driving). The car wouldn't go more than 50 km per hour... Took it to mechanics, done the check up for transmission oil and temperature level , all was at its norm... Than, the mechanic tried to do some technical adaptation on the road, the warning sigh came up again... The computer doesn't show the clutch temperature for some reason... Now, the mechanic wants to order the clutch temperature detector... Hopefully it will help to eliminate the problem... Very upset ((( Love my baby so much

Well what was the update? Did they fix it? I just got this issue on my 2010 Audi A4 approx 92k miles

Old 09-23-2016, 11:13 AM
1st Gear

Hello

I recently just encountered this very same issue with the same alerts on my 2010 Audi A4. I brought it to my local Audi dealer and they couldn't find anything through their diagnostic testing. When I mentioned what I found on this forum, basically the transmission filter could be the culprit, they brushed it off and gave me an explanation that changing the filter on a car with 130K miles would only cause more problems and could potentially damage the car/transmission further. They cleared the errors and said to drive the car and see what happens. If it happens again, replacing the transmission might be the next step. Given this discussion, I am skeptical of their diagnosis. Should I bring the car into another dealership/mechanic for a 2nd opinion?

Last edited by mlaliberte74; 09-23-2016 at 11:15 AM.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:41 AM
1st Gear
Default Update?

What happened with your situation? Im having the same problem and just dropped my 2010 A4 2.0 at the dealership this morning.

Originally Posted by mlaliberte74
Hello

I recently just encountered this very same issue with the same alerts on my 2010 Audi A4. I brought it to my local Audi dealer and they couldn't find anything through their diagnostic testing. When I mentioned what I found on this forum, basically the transmission filter could be the culprit, they brushed it off and gave me an explanation that changing the filter on a car with 130K miles would only cause more problems and could potentially damage the car/transmission further. They cleared the errors and said to drive the car and see what happens. If it happens again, replacing the transmission might be the next step. Given this discussion, I am skeptical of their diagnosis. Should I bring the car into another dealership/mechanic for a 2nd opinion?

Search this Thread