B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

Help with fit of snow tires/wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 06:18 PM
Default Help with fit of snow tires/wheels

I've had my new Audi for about a month, and it's been wonderful with the exception of the day when a rabbit chewed through my power steering cable while I was at work (seriously). But that's another story.

I teach snowboarding part time and will be doing a lot of winter mountain driving, so I plan to get snow tires with a dedicated set of wheels. OEM tire size on my car is 245/45/R17. I've decided on the Michelin X-Ice i2, but the closest tire size is 225/55/R17. From what I've read, I believe these should be fine/better than the original size in snow (Audi doesn't offer them). When I took the car in for the power steering problem, I discussed this with a service guy, and he wouldn't help me figure out what wheels would work with the Michelins while not messing with performance.

I've spent the afternoon trying to figure this out on my own, but how do I determine what size wheels (width, mainly) I need to get? Do I have to buy the Audi tire pressure sensors, or will the ones that come with TireRack wheels work with the TPMS? Discount Tire carries the tires, but should I trust them to advise me on wheels/tire pressure sensors? I don't care a ton about aesthetics for this decision, but I just don't want to screw up the car.

Help?

Old 01-15-2010, 11:47 AM
Default winter snow tires

I purchased a set of snow tires from the Tire Rack for my 2007 BMW 328xi and had them install the TPMS. They work just fine, so I suspect they will have the appropriate sensors for your A4. I just bought my wife an A4 and am also in the market for snow tires. She has a Prestige which came with
18" wheels. I am considering 16" wheels, which is what I installed on my 328 even thought the stock wheels were 17". In general, a narrower profile tire with a higher sidewall works better in winter, although there is a "performanace" trade-off in that maximum dry cornering will be reduced.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:33 AM
1st Gear

On the advice of the Tire Rack, we got 225/50 R17 Blizzaks. We've had a bunch of Blizzaks in the past and have been very pleased.
The car recognized the new tire sensors simply by going into the 'car' portion of the menu and resetting to accept the current tire pressures.
Moon