B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

Noise from engine after ignition off

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 03:42 AM
Default Noise from engine after ignition off

Hi all,

I recently (about a month ago) took delivery of the Audi A4 B8 2.7T CVT. It's been a great drive so far.

Just this evening, after driving home from work, I switched the engine off and took the key from the ignition. Stepping out of the car, I could still hear a noise from the engine bay - sort of like a fan-type sound. The sound went off after about 5 or more minutes.

I'm not worried too much, but wonder why this is so. I did push it a bit hard just before getting home, and that made me think of the older (non-Audi) modified cars that my friends used to have that had a turbo timer. But I didn't think 'normal' cars would have that feature.

Can anyone out there shed some light on this?

Thanks & regards

Old 05-05-2009, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by evanlau
Hi all,

I recently (about a month ago) took delivery of the Audi A4 B8 2.7T CVT. It's been a great drive so far.

Just this evening, after driving home from work, I switched the engine off and took the key from the ignition. Stepping out of the car, I could still hear a noise from the engine bay - sort of like a fan-type sound. The sound went off after about 5 or more minutes.

I'm not worried too much, but wonder why this is so. I did push it a bit hard just before getting home, and that made me think of the older (non-Audi) modified cars that my friends used to have that had a turbo timer. But I didn't think 'normal' cars would have that feature.

Can anyone out there shed some light on this?

Thanks & regards
It's probably just the electric fan still running to cool the car down properly. You'll notice this more often as the summer temperature rises (i.e. the engine will get hotter quicker and therefore require the fan to cool it down). If you want to make sure next time you stop the car and get out if you hear that sound pop the hood and look for the fan to see if it's spinning. It will be near the front grille by the radiator.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:35 PM
Banned

midwest is right. if the engine is hot after the engine is shut off, the fan will kick in. even my VW golf does that. great feature. i've never heard the fan kick in after the audi has been turned off. maybe because it doesn't get too hot. the aluminum block dissipates the heat much better.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:00 PM

Thanks for the responses. Just to let you know I live in Australia so we are actually coming into winter! Cheers.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:07 AM
1st Gear

hmm and all this time i thought it was the fans or electronic components running the DRLs cause i only heard it when they were on

Old 06-17-2009, 08:47 AM
1st Gear

According to the manual the fan will run up to 10 minutes after the car shuts off and could come on to cool the engine bay off if the sun heats it up enough.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:23 PM
Banned

i doubt that the heat from the sun would cause the fan to turn on after then engine has been turned off and cooled down.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:13 PM
1st Gear

That's what the manual said.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:28 AM
1st Gear

I have a 2009 A4 2.0T and when the car idles I hear a ticking noise? I remember reading that on this forum before just forgot what they said it was about.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by kavan
I have a 2009 A4 2.0T and when the car idles I hear a ticking noise? I remember reading that on this forum before just forgot what they said it was about.
The high pressue direct injection tends to make a much more prominent popping/clicking sound during the injection phase so what you are hearing is likely normal.

Quick Reply: Noise from engine after ignition off