B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

Oil Consumption information!! GOOD NEWS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 11:40 PM
1st Gear
Default Warrantee on oil consumption

The dealer that did mine said that Audi was warranteeing this issue until 180k kms or 110k miles. It wouldn't hurt to take your car to have it looked at.

Old 06-12-2015, 01:07 PM
1st Gear
Default I've been wondering the same thing...law suit?

Originally Posted by elitemike
I skimmed this thread really fast as I'm looking for other information on the site. I had my piston/rings replaced in nov 2013, then in sept 2014 the replace the crank vent and did programming. I haven't had an oil consumption issue since 2013, but the '14 fix should have been done at that time as well.

I didn't see anyone talking about the US class action lawsuit that is going on, but I could have missed it.
Like you I'm wondering why we haven't seen a final decision. I believe that May 4th was to be the final settlement or at least rebuttal.

Anyone?

I just finished going through the third {III} and final stage of this whole process. Now have roughly 1,500 miles on the "new pistons and rings" and so far it's good. I even talked to Audi of America and asked to speak to someone that would give me a "root cause" for the piston ring problem. IE...ok, the wiper rings were bad BUT how did they sneak through QC? If not every ring then at least a sampling would have determined there was a booboo with the rings.

I believe I had an exceptional tech work on our 2011 A4. He called me twice to explain what he had found and the intended fix. As well due to a code/warning we found the turbo to be bad! Waste gate problems. Turbo was replaced as well. The stage III and the turbo were N/C! Granted we have less than 30,000 miles on the A4 but still...I'm pleased with the dealer.

All of us raise hell at particular times on various subjects but seldom take the time to say "thanks, good job". My dealer is XXX Audi in Murrysville, PA and they are - in my opinion - an extremely good dealer/service group.

Sgt Steve

Old 06-12-2015, 01:17 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I venture to say all of the cars on these form that burn oil are the 2.0L turbo engines,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, If it is from "bad" rings then Audi has a quality control problem. It all started with the 2.0L engine and is still a problem with the 2014's . Good luck.
Jag hello again. Check my post on page 5 of this string. I made every attempt to talk to someone in engineering to find out how so many "rings" can be deviated and yet not be caught. I appreciate what Audi and my dealer (in particular) did to resolve the problem but being a little bit of a gear head I'd like to know "the rest of the story".

Sgt Steve

Old 06-13-2015, 08:14 AM
1st Gear

[QUOTE=SgtSteve;1492934]Jag hello again. Check my post on page 5 of this string. I made every attempt to talk to someone in engineering to find out how so many "rings" can be deviated and yet not be caught. I appreciate what Audi and my dealer (in particular) did to resolve the problem but being a little bit of a gear head I'd like to know "the rest of the story".

Sgt Steve
[/QUOT

Sgt I'm with you here and being a shade tree mechanic starting back in 1960 and having worked as a ME in the semiconductor industry since 1966 I fine it hard to believe there is not both a design issue and a QC issue here. I don't think the dealer service know the root cause but are only told to do the testing and replace parts. I also don't think Audi will ever publish the cause as it will expose some of their questionable manufacturing processes. So in the mean time they are at least trying to fix the problem but at some point they will stop and those who buy a problem car will have to foot the bill themselves. Time will tell. Good luck on your fix and keep us posted if it starts to use oil again.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:08 PM
1st Gear

Audi acknowledges there is an issue with the 09' 10' 11' Audi A4 2.0L motors. They apparently went with a slightly smaller piston with these motors. I have an 06' with 215,000+ miles and that motor is still solid with no issues. The 11' is burning about a quart every 800 miles. I am having the consumption test performed right now. Depending on the result I will either get a new breather or new pistons/rings. All at no cost. A couple of notes! You need to get the car to them before it has 85,000 miles on it. Mine has 74,000 and even though it is out of warranty they are taking care of it. I will report back when the work has all been completed and how it went.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:40 AM
1st Gear
Default Don't let them kid you!

Originally Posted by norseman63
Audi acknowledges there is an issue with the 09' 10' 11' Audi A4 2.0L motors. They apparently went with a slightly smaller piston with these motors. I have an 06' with 215,000+ miles and that motor is still solid with no issues. The 11' is burning about a quart every 800 miles. I am having the consumption test performed right now. Depending on the result I will either get a new breather or new pistons/rings. All at no cost. A couple of notes! You need to get the car to them before it has 85,000 miles on it. Mine has 74,000 and even though it is out of warranty they are taking care of it. I will report back when the work has all been completed and how it went.
Check out Jagtoes post above.
After all the smoke clears you'll find out that the only thing that works is the final and stage III fix.
New piston & rings are needed. Checking consumption and doing the bolt/breather/pipe thing doesn't make any difference but they have to comply with Audi's directives
So pursue them.
Peace,
Sgt Steve

Old 06-21-2015, 02:43 AM
1st Gear

After stage 2 'oc" is it possible the other parts are effected after say 65k mi? My pistons, rings, etc were replaced 35k mi ago, only to have my motor blown by a stretched timing chain.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:53 AM
1st Gear

Just got my car back. For those who are being told there is a cost find another dealer and report that dealer to Audi. Autohaus in Peoria IL treated me very well. Though the car was out of warranty they did the tests at no charge and my car failed. I now have the new piston kit and was provided a loaner A3 with 12 miles on it. It now has close to 1000 . The bottom line is Audi is addressing the issue. I will have to report back if an issue arrises but for now Audi exceeded my expectations on this issue.

Old 07-03-2015, 08:01 PM
1st Gear

Thank You, I am still trying to solve this issue. I feel so frustrated, I have a business to run and I had no intention of doing hours of research and questioning other Audi mechanics, all I wanted was for someone to help me with this issue. Please keep an eye on your timing chain as it was not something I was aware had problems that also were attributed to the "oc" issue. Treese

Old 07-07-2015, 11:49 AM
1st Gear

Had the same oil problem in my A4 with 60K I had the oil tests done at the dealer where I bought it (Certified Pre owned) they ended up replacing rings and pistons no charge. So far 5K miles and no oil light.

Quick Reply: Oil Consumption information!! GOOD NEWS!!!