B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

Oil Consumption information!! GOOD NEWS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 12:34 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jagtoes
You don't have a timing belt . The timing chain replacement is exactly that it is for the cam timing. The belt is only for the accessories. I would look around at timing chain and tensioner parts as $400 sounded pretty steep.
You're completely right (I'm sure you could get one for closer to $200). And I knew they're making a little cash here. But I don't feel badly about it. Including the extra oil change they rooked me out of, this could be a profit of 2 or 3 hundred bucks for them. However... I'm pretty much getting a new engine! Remember, I've hardly given them anything since buying the car in 2011.

When I think of the last few times I did the maintenance service myself for under $100 (at least one of these would have cost $1200 at Audi's prices), I figure I'm not doing badly.

I did the 55,000 miles service, the 65,000 and the 75,000 myself, and soon, the 85,000 mile service. I even bought myself the VAG-COM kit for $350 and I'm still WAY ahead of the game.

UPDATE: This is now over 8,000 miles since the new pistons and rings were installed. And I've had to put in ZERO top-up oil! Pretty good, when I'd have burnt 2 GALLONS by now!

I'm still feeling pretty good about this 2011 A5 convertible... ignoring the engine, it's been very reliable, as borne out by Consumer Reports.
We'll keep it until Audi comes up with a new convertible with a blue roof!!!

Old 12-18-2016, 08:02 PM
1st Gear

We have approximately 10,000 miles on our 2011 A4 since the complete piston, rings, etc. To date all is fine and I'm happy with the results so good luck to ya'.
On an associated subject after all the owner's manual reading I discovered our dealer uses the Castrol synthetic oil. To me, I guess they know what they're doing other than a promotional agreement of some type!
Still not happy with my chipped paint on the hood and still badgering the local guys.
Sgt Steve

Old 02-10-2017, 12:24 AM
1st Gear

Just thought I'd offer an update. Oil consumption repairs (pistons, rings etc) done at 60k miles. 108,xxx miles today. Never uses any oil in between 7,500 mile oil changes.

Wife commutes about 80 per day in it on the freeway. Hope to have/drive the car right up to 200k miles.

Old 02-10-2017, 07:03 PM
1st Gear
Default Audi A4 2009 oil consumption

Hello my car been burning so much oil every week I took it to the dealer they told me I need to replace the piston I'm out of warranty. What can I do please advice

Old 02-10-2017, 07:08 PM
1st Gear

Hello did u get this resolved I'm having the same issue

Old 03-23-2017, 02:56 PM
1st Gear
Unhappy Need Advice

Hi,

I bought a 2011 Audi A4 Avant just a few weeks ago and am having to refill my oil every 200 miles or so. It has 66,000 miles on it. I know there is an extended warranty on this issue for cars under 80,000 miles/8 years old. I took it back the dealership twice now to 'top off' my oil. So this last time they told me I would have to pay for the testing and repair Phases 1 & 2 myself. The reason is because the previous owner modified the car (TD1 code?). The previous owner put a different exhaust on the car which gets Audi out of this warranty to repair it. I don't know what to do. I am stuck with potentially paying for the oil consumption tests and parts which I hear Phase 2 could be up to $6,000 with new pistons, etc.

The service guy also told me I 'may' get better oil consumption if I change the oil every $3,000 miles as it will make the rings expand. No clue what that means.

I am literally to the point of tears. I'm a lady that feels she was completely taken advantage of. My first visit to test drive the car, I asked the sales guy point blank 'is this exhaust upgraded?' because it has huge chrome exhaust pipes that didn't look like the other Avants I'd looked at. I was told it was an Audi part by him...so he had no clue and just said 'yes' or blantantly lied. Please, if anyone can help me out, I would really appreciate some advice.

Thanks,
CLaw

Old 03-23-2017, 02:57 PM
1st Gear

May I ask how much this costs you? Did you have both phases of oil consumption done?

Old 03-23-2017, 02:59 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by atokad
Just thought I'd offer an update. Oil consumption repairs (pistons, rings etc) done at 60k miles. 108,xxx miles today. Never uses any oil in between 7,500 mile oil changes.

Wife commutes about 80 per day in it on the freeway. Hope to have/drive the car right up to 200k miles.
How much was this?

Old 07-05-2017, 06:04 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by l8knight1980
HI!

Sorry for this delay. I got my Audi back at 82K miles on it with the new rings/etc. I just clicked 86K, and show NO loss of oil, nor any smoke at all. So 4K miles later, I feel good that I am in the clear. Also, they didn't replace the turbo, as the dealer I bought it from said that they'll replace this if it's an issue, but they felt the the CEL came on because of the smog, and oil going through the turbo. I again, responding to let you all know that no CEL light came on either......

...Here's my ONLY concern. With all of the oil flow-by, does this cause long term damage to the exhaust system, and sensors?
Please tell me this is true, that you were able to get Audi to cover the cost with 82k miles on your vehicle. I have exactly 82k miles and they are saying its surpassed the 80k mile warranty.

Old 07-05-2017, 06:14 PM
1st Gear
Talking Oil Consumption

They repaired my engine at 67K miles. It was not easy but luckily I bought it from a good dealer...I came back 2-3 times to have my oil refilled within weeks of purchasing. I finally sat down with the GM and I was adamant they sold me the car this way = they were going to pay for it to be fixed. The GM called Audi of America and got them on board to fund my repairs. Was without a car for a couple of weeks but it was completely paid for my A of A and I have put on 1500 miles since with no oil burning or smoke. SUCCESS!

Quick Reply: Oil Consumption information!! GOOD NEWS!!!