B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

Steering judder / vibration at low speeds

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 12:53 PM
1st Gear
Default Steering judder / vibration at low speeds

Hi all, I recently bought an 09 Avant 2.0T Sline.. Didn't really notice it at first but the past week there is an odd vibration / judder when steering the car at low speeds.. (basically when moving off or parking)..

It almost seems like the power steering is struggling to turn the wheels.. This only happens at idle engine speeds when stopped or when travelling slowly. If I Rev the engine a little or when I driving the car it goes away..

Not sure if my car is idling too low (700ish rpm) and this is starving the ps of power or if it's something with the PS itself..

Ive read a few different stories about hoses on 2.0T petrol models needing replaced but not sure if this is the prob or not..

Has Anyone ideas what would be causing this as the car is under warranty and would like to get this sorted before or runs out :-)

Jaxo

Old 10-13-2017, 07:00 AM
1st Gear

I just bought an 09 plate A4 Avant 2.0T Quattro as well and noticed this when making low rev turns i.e. reversing onto a drive etc. I checked the power steering when the car was stationary and in park and it was fine (no juddering at all) so I don't think it is simply an issue with PS, also had no issues whatsoever when driving it home yesterday on the motorway, only when trying to turn at low speeds. From reading some other forums apparently this is a known "quirk" of Quattro Audis; when I checked the service history yesterday there was no advisory issues recorded with the PS so I think it is just one of those things.

Would appreciate some thoughts from others though, given I am a first time poster!