B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

What's the verdict? -Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 09:01 AM
1st Gear
Default audi 2012 a4

having to add a quart of oil on a 2012 a4 every 2-3k. that is not normal! audi had a problem with pistons in the 09-11 but supposedly the 12 is a new engine. only 28k miles. not good

Old 04-22-2014, 01:04 PM
1st Gear
Cool 2010 A4 Oil consumption

I called my regular dealer ( service dept), and asked about it oil consumption. I was told it was due to the small turbo that spins up and actually consumes the oil vs. sending it back to the rest of the engine and that it was normal. We've lived with the putting a quart in about every 400 miles ( less than a tank of gas). I called AoA yesterday after the dealer told me that my car was out of warranty. AoA said my car was in warranty and they let me explain my concern. It is about 4 years old, 79k miles and will not pass state emissions testing and uses excessive amounts of oil. I was told to take it to the dealer pay the 85.00 deductible ( apparently because it was CPO, it's still under warranty and a deductible is all I need to pay), the dealer will do some stuff to measure oil consumption and will have me return at 600 miles or when the oil light comes on ( whichever is less). At that point they will do some other repairs of the consumption is considered excessive. Keeping my fingers crossed that I'm not going to be out of pocket on this one.
Additionally, there are no apparent oil leaks or black smoke coming from the exhaust.

Last edited by tscottk; 04-22-2014 at 02:07 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:36 AM
JBB
1st Gear

My 2009 A4 is burning a quart every 350 miles.

The good news is that all that black soot has given my tail lights that cool Black Out" look.

Did not even have to buy window film or work in a coal mine to get it!

Thanks Audi!

Old 04-28-2014, 07:30 PM
1st Gear

I have a 2011 A4 2.0 Quattro and I have to have my oil replace about once a month. I bought the car used back in February and that warranty is up. Am I pretty much screwed with this problem and going to have to pay tons of $$ to have it fixed?

Old 04-29-2014, 10:01 AM
1st Gear
Default Not sureq

Originally Posted by lmp692
I have a 2011 A4 2.0 Quattro and I have to have my oil replace about once a month. I bought the car used back in February and that warranty is up. Am I pretty much screwed with this problem and going to have to pay tons of $$ to have it fixed?

Call Audi of America. I know that I'm covered because we bought it as a CPO. Otherwise we would be screwed. I would bet that if you really plead your case, if you're not CPO, you might catch a break.

The dealer wasn't really interested in checking my CPO status and simply told me I was out of warranty once I told them my miles.

Old 04-29-2014, 02:40 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by tscottk
Call Audi of America. I know that I'm covered because we bought it as a CPO. Otherwise we would be screwed. I would bet that if you really plead your case, if you're not CPO, you might catch a break.

The dealer wasn't really interested in checking my CPO status and simply told me I was out of warranty once I told them my miles.
My car is sadly not a CPO but I was in contact with AoA today and we have started to begin the "documentation" process. I called a Audi dealership today about getting the oil consumption test done but they could not provide with how much it will cost. Anyone know the average amount? I already know the car has the problem after reading so many posts on the forums. I did tell AoA to contact the Audi dealership so hopefully something can be done so I don't get stuck on a pricey bill on a car I've had for less than 3 months.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:21 PM
1st Gear
Smile May not need to be CPO..

Now that I'm thinking about it, it might not need to be CPO. AoA told me I was still under warranty because it's CPO although didn't specify it had to be. I think that if this is a common issue, which it seems to be, Audi/VW would address it regardless of the warranty or CPO status. Obviously, if you've got a lot of miles on it and the miles would say that you're engine needs to be overhauled, then that's another matter all together.

Overall, Let's hope Audi handles this the right way.

Truth in Engineering. I guess we'll see. I'm due to drop mine off on May 1.

I'll keep you posted.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:37 AM
1st Gear
Default update: car is at dealer now

I dropped off my car yesterday, the person I spoke to was sort of an ***. I told him the AoA told me that it was covered by warranty. He started questioning why it wasn't brought in for the 65k service. I told him that the service was supposed to be covered by the Audi service we got when we bought the car, but apparently it wasn't, so we never got the service done. I then told him what I told AoA. The car is 4 years old, there's no reason it should fail emissions testing and even at 80k, using 1 qt of oil every tank of gas, is not right and that it's been getting progressively worse since we noticed it at about 25 to 30k miles. They are changing the oil, oil separator, sealing the oil cap, drain plug and updating the software. He told be it would be ready this morning, well it's not. So I'll enjoy driving the 2014 S Line loaner for the weekend.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:37 PM
1st Gear

Ok so after only 2 weeks and about 200 miles the oil light came on again. Made a appointment for the Oil Consumption Test at a local Audi dealer. They quoted the test at $650-700 ! Which sounds ridiculous after seeing most people on here pay around half of that. I'm asking AoA to help cover some costs so we will see how that goes. -_______-

Old 05-22-2014, 05:45 PM
1st Gear

i bought my 09 a4 2.0t in october and have been having my oil light come on way too much. finally, i took it to a non-certified audi mechanic that i trust, and they said that i just needed to replace my breather valve. after they did that, and topped my oil off, about a week later my oil light came back on. when i called them to ask what they thought was going on, they told me about the oil consumption test. I called Audi the next day and they got my car in ASAP. that was last wednesday, and they told me to call them when my oil light came back on, which was yesterday, exactly a week after they had filled my oil. i now have to bring it back to Audi for the second part of the test on saturday. i don't think going through that much oil in a week, and only about 150 miles, is normal, so i hope they find whats wrong and fix it.

Quick Reply: What's the verdict? -Oil Consumption