B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

What's the verdict? -Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 06:26 PM
1st Gear

I just don't understand where the oil is going. There's no leaks on my garage floor. I don't think the car is blowing black smoke. It's weird. It has to be going somewhere. It doesn't just disappear into the ether.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:36 PM
1st Gear

The oil is blowing by the piston rings and burn in the cylinders.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:24 AM
1st Gear
Angry Typical apathy

No doubt it's frustrating as hell.

My brother's boss has an A4 or whatever you call the Audi SUV that has the 2.0- turbo. Anyway, the guy is not pressed financially but is still totally aggravated by the oil consumption and cost.

I've said it before...this is 2014 and to go through an oil consumption problem at this point in the vehicle industry is ridiculous. C'mon, why don't the responsible persons just say they have a problem and then take care of it.

Is the whole country going in the direction of Obaman? IE...nothing is his fault, nothing. It's alway someone else who caused him to do or not do something. Had I known of the problems shown here on the forum there is NO way I would have bought wifey the Audi, no way!

I don't care what kind of engine is in a vehicle...turbo...non-turbo...log splitter...hydraulic power unit...it does not constitute the reason for a problem of this magnitude. Me? I'm buying one of the oil dip sticks and I"ll clheck it every damned day.

Sgt Steve

Old 09-30-2014, 07:48 AM
1st Gear

If you check the lastest lawsuit about oil compustion on Google. Audi lose the lawsuit for 2009-2011 but audi will cover this issue by extension on the warrenty to 8 years or 80k miles. We all know most consumer already have over 80k on the vehicle so to me it's all a number game to audi. Audi already have your money let us drag it out by the time the lawsuit is settle most of the vehicle over the mileage or year or vehicle is no longer on the road.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:06 AM
1st Gear
Default MMI display for oil

Seems as if I'm having a tough time getting an answer but I'll keep trying.

Does anyone know how much capacity (oil) is represented by the "MAX" and "MIN" on the MMI display. IE...is the difference between the "MAX" and the "MIN" a half quart? A quart? More than 1 quart?

Sgt Steve

Old 10-01-2014, 07:37 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by SgtSteve
Seems as if I'm having a tough time getting an answer but I'll keep trying.

Does anyone know how much capacity (oil) is represented by the "MAX" and "MIN" on the MMI display. IE...is the difference between the "MAX" and the "MIN" a half quart? A quart? More than 1 quart?

Sgt Steve
It's about one quart of oil but when checking your oil engine has to be operating temperature. Wait about 2-5 minutes to let oil set down then use the MMI system on oil level. Add slow then the the MMI oil level if you don't have the dipstick.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:52 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by mmediaman
Got the recommended factory work done on my 2010 A4 and waiting to see if this addresses the problem.

1.) Parts replaced.
2.) Software updated.

a.) Oil gauge went from 100% to 80% after a few days and holding.
b.) I'm going to be really upset if this doesn't address the problem.
Your post is somewhat vague. Who recommended the "factory work" - dealership or independent repair shop?
What was the problem? Presume oil consumption, but you didn't say.
What parts are being replaced -- and WHY?

Old 10-06-2014, 03:20 PM
1st Gear
Default Excessive Oil Consumption

My son has an A4 2.0T and it burns about 1 quart every 1500-2000 miles.
They took the car back to the dealer after a year and complained about the oil consumption. Dealer said it was NORMAL. I say B.S. a new car should not be eating a quart every other month (at that time). It's MUCH worse now.

I did not know the dealer is offering to top off the oil level. What is involved? Just show up? Make an appointment first 3 days in advance?

So who should he complain to? Already went to the dealership twice about it, they turned him away. Back then I posted something here and the response was "it's normal, get over it". I recommend he sell the car, but if there is a recall looming soon (this month) then he might wait. If there is a recall next year, then he wont.

I think its so bad, the engine needs more than just a ring-job.

Temp remedies; STP oil treatment to increase viscosity and reduce oil burning? Will the thicker oil harm anything (other than a slight hit against gas mileage)? How about heavier synthetic oil? 10W40, 15W40?

Old 10-06-2014, 07:58 PM
1st Gear
Default Viscosity is not the answer

I have just enough knowledge to confuse you but on some things...I'm there!
Using STP or a "thicker" viscosity is not the answer, even temporarily. The main factors with oil is it's function with the heat transfer and how it handles the shear factors. Shear - as in metal wear or deposition (change from a certain form to another form). Don't forget that changing the XXW - XX does more than just increase the "thick feeling" it also creates or decreases heat. Heat is the big bugaboo.
If you every saw one of those slow motion films from the Machinery's Handbook Lab in Cinn, Ohio you can see what the shearing does and what action lubes/fluids perform under pressure and speed.
OK, I think I"m done with my blah, blah, blah. Like I said...I know enough to be dangerous, usually.

Sgt Steve

Old 10-12-2014, 06:45 PM
1st Gear

Is this not news? I just discovered I may have recourse and I did some googling and come up with this press info from about a week ago:

audi settles oil consumption complaints

confirmed here

http://business.cch.com/plsd/AlivVolkswagen.pdf

Last edited by cnegrelli; 10-12-2014 at 06:56 PM.

Quick Reply: What's the verdict? -Oil Consumption