B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

What's the verdict? -Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 08:52 PM
Tech Certified

Originally Posted by r6forfun2008
I repaired this vehicles for 13 years and calling Audi support with vin number. Yes we got a bad batch of crank shaft bearing bolt for this vin to this vin number. So if Audi knew by vin to vin then why not check or fix the problem but let's see what happen maybe not all of bolts will fail. All new engine has some design error but 2002-2007 cam follower and high pressure fuel pump premature wear but the 2008 has same part numbers for cam follower & high pressure fuel pump. Audi said they corrected the problem on the 2008 2.0 liter turbo motor so does that make senses to you?

Whaaaaaaaaat...........?

This thread is about the 2009- 2011 CAEB motor........

The problem has nothing to do with the crank bolt.

Also has nothing to do with the follower issue on the 2005 - 2007's.

Your sooooo far off and wrong you should be banned from giving advice

Sorry

Old 10-13-2014, 11:29 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Audi Tek
Whaaaaaaaaat...........?

This thread is about the 2009- 2011 CAEB motor........

The problem has nothing to do with the crank bolt.

Also has nothing to do with the follower issue on the 2005 - 2007's.

Your sooooo far off and wrong you should be banned from giving advice

Sorry
just let people know on a side note about the crank shaft bearing bolts. If you read all the tread there's car range from 2004-2014 complaint about oil comsuption problem. If I'm so wrong then what's your back ground?

Old 10-14-2014, 08:57 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by r6forfun2008
just let people know on a side note about the crank shaft bearing bolts. If you read all the tread there's car range from 2004-2014 complaint about oil comsuption problem. If I'm so wrong then what's your back ground?
I agree and based on previous posts there is and was a oil problem with all of the 2.0 engines going back to 2004. We had a 2008 and at 30K miles we were getting 1500 miles on a quart. Dealer didn't want to do anything as it was considered normal. It is a design flaw and even when they changed the engine in 2009 they carried over a part of the motor that still caused the oil issue. Next coming from a manufacturing environment if you have a bad batch of parts and install them then your quality control system failed. This does not provide the consumer with confidence. How many of these motors were built? My bet is they all use oil to some degree and it is masked when the customer brings the car by for a top off. The second or third owner has to bit the bullet. The attitude of the tech is reflective of poor customer service. If he was to degrade my customers he would be let go.

Old 10-27-2014, 05:40 PM
1st Gear
Default Where can I locate the CAEB designation?

I've looked but must be dummy-fied as I don't see it.
Sgt Steve

Old 11-04-2014, 06:47 PM
3rd Gear

I looked for an A4 2.0T for the past year+ and finally bought a highly used 2011 with 99.6k miles. I read this post and searched the forum, and was very concerned about the oil consumption issue. While not declaring total victory, I just returned from a 5-day round trip to FL (2367 miles). I installed a dipstick before I left, checked the oil level with the MMI a couple times each way, and am pleased to report that the level is the same on the dipstick and the MMI still reads full. I hope this means I dodged the consumption bullet. The new ride is red, hence the font.

On another positive note, overall the car averaged 30.8 mpg (calculated manually) while driving 75-80 on cruise most of the way, with a high of 32.5. I think that is pretty awesome and much better than my A6, which I love, but only managed 23-24 mpg under the same conditions.

And still more positive news, I had copied ~18 albums to a SDHC and it played through all of them over the course of 33 hours. I only used 3Gbs of the 16Gb on the SDHC, but really don't have much more music to add. Eventually I may push the 4Gb barrier and find out if the 2011 can handle the full 16Gb. It sure eliminates the need to carry a dozen CDs or even the need to own an iPod.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:43 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ppgoal
I looked for an A4 2.0T for the past year+ and finally bought a highly used 2011 with 99.6k miles. I read this post and searched the forum, and was very concerned about the oil consumption issue. While not declaring total victory, I just returned from a 5-day round trip to FL (2367 miles). I installed a dipstick before I left, checked the oil level with the MMI a couple times each way, and am pleased to report that the level is the same on the dipstick and the MMI still reads full. I hope this means I dodged the consumption bullet. The new ride is red, hence the font.

On another positive note, overall the car averaged 30.8 mpg (calculated manually) while driving 75-80 on cruise most of the way, with a high of 32.5. I think that is pretty awesome and much better than my A6, which I love, but only managed 23-24 mpg under the same conditions.

And still more positive news, I had copied ~18 albums to a SDHC and it played through all of them over the course of 33 hours. I only used 3Gbs of the 16Gb on the SDHC, but really don't have much more music to add. Eventually I may push the 4Gb barrier and find out if the 2011 can handle the full 16Gb. It sure eliminates the need to carry a dozen CDs or even the need to own an iPod.
Great story and I'm sure the kids will enjoy it.

Old 11-09-2014, 01:24 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by cnegrelli
Is this not news? I just discovered I may have recourse and I did some googling and come up with this press info from about a week ago:

audi settles oil consumption complaints

confirmed here

http://business.cch.com/plsd/AlivVolkswagen.pdf
Can anyone confirm, all 2009-2011 A4's with the engine in lawsuit now have 8 year 80K mile warranty for oil consumption issues?

Old 11-09-2014, 09:25 PM
1st Gear

Yes - thats the situation. Took my wife's '09 A4 Cabriolet FWD in and the dealer confirmed and agreed to do the leak-down test. Unfortunately, they then came back and told me that the Cabriolet does not have the engine in question (has a timing belt, not the timing chain, etc).

But all models with that Engine are covered.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:22 AM
1st Gear
Question CAEB where do I find this designation?

Maybe there has been a response and I have missed it but...how do I know or recognize this CAEB designation on my newly purchase 2011 Audi A4?

Thanks in advance,

Sgt Steve

Old 11-11-2014, 04:10 PM
1st Gear

My '05 A6 4.2 burns very little oil and it now has over 150k miles. Are you suggesting that engines "not made like they used to" is a more recent phenomenon than 10 years? I'm thinking it may actually be a turbo issue.

Given that a used Audi buyer must take it on faith that the former owner kept the oil full with repeated and annoying additions at short intervals, I cannot understand how these cars maintain any value at all. "Driving with perpetually low oil" does not appear on a CarFax.

Originally Posted by Audi Tek
They are no longer re-ringing engines...

Offically they originally believe the machining process on some of the piston rings were not done properly.

The software update, The crank seal, and the breather seems to be the more serious fix. Its all designed to alter the internal vacuum of the system. I haven't seen a single return complaint after this was done. Its pretty straight forward repair too... there isn't any engine disassembly and only takes a few hours

The specification is 1200 miles per quart is normal. You cannot compare Audi to cars you used to own. But you want a piece of mind....?

GOOGLE
"BMW Oil Consumption"
"Mercedes Oil Consumption"
"Toyota Oil Consumption"
"Chevy Oil Consumption"

Every manufacturer has these problems. They don't make reliable motors like they used to because everything is done for Smog Credits and MPGs..... discounts and exemptions for better numbers.

Quick Reply: What's the verdict? -Oil Consumption