B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

What's the verdict? -Oil Consumption

Old 11-11-2014, 04:25 PM
3rd Gear

To further defend OOOO, my 2003 A6 2.7T has 231k miles and requires zero oil between 7-9k changes. It shows full when it goes in for that change. And, as of the roughly 3000 miles I have put on my 2011 A4 with the infamous 2.0T since September, it has not budged off full on the MMI or dipstick.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:12 PM
1st Gear
Default It's not the technology, it's the people...

[SIZE="2"][I][SIZE="4"]You know...the Audi thing we discuss here is not much different from the other forums...GM, Ford, Chrysler, Toyota, on and on and on. Then we have the air bag Bungle!

Having worked in the Naval Nuclear Manufacturing associated industries I recall that at such a time as we would have a "piece" that was not "per drawing or spec" we would have to submit a report called a DSR to the governing agency/customer. In that document we had to describe the deviation, the cause of the deviation, the recommendation to use/repair/scrap. At the summation we had a "ROOT CAUSE". In other words what really caused the problem? And then the Action to Prevent Recurrence. Not saying that was perfect as far as a solution is concerned but it did provide a vehicle to root out all the crap. And yes, just like the auto makers and air bag gumbos there were people that would bend your arm to avoid reporting anything!

Sgt Steve

Old 11-16-2014, 06:30 PM
1st Gear
Default reason for oil consumption problem in A4,A3, A5 2007 - 2010 2L Turbo

Hi Peoples, i have been reading about the oil consumption problem on this forum and others and have yet to come across a reason for why this is happening, my husband is a mechanical engineer and i can give you the exact reason. It is because the bottom ring of the pistons is the oil feed ring and the oil return ring, so that when the pistons go up oil gets fed through that ring to lubricate the piston and the ball, and then when the piston comes back down the next ring above it is the scraper ring so it scrapes the oil back down, the oil coats the cylinder and then it is meant to go back down through the bottom ring but the oil can't do that because the ring gets blocked up and they block up because of the way the bottom ring is is poorly designed, the design of the bottom ring causes the clogging up of oil and can not go back down as the oil is supposes to do. It is a known fault around the world that the design or manufacture if you like is faulty and there have been many class actions around the world. I am in Victoria, Australia and our car is 4 years old and Audi want us to pay $9100.00 to fix this problem, but we are going to sue and it's in the hands of our lawyers. If Audi don't want to fix this problem and you are out of warranty see a lawyer. Audi have been using many reasons why this is not a problem and a class action was settled in California for excessive oil consumption, you do need to replace the pistons and rings because the have have redesigned the rings and they won't fit in the exsiting engine, they have to change the con rod which connects the pistons to the crankshaft as the pistons are a completely different design.

Hope this helps, Audi Suck! and so does their customer service, you should not have to pay for an oil consumption test either as Audi know what the fault is, they are making you double dip and the are actually making money from this fault.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:36 PM
1st Gear
Default Audi is or is not covering the stage I and II?

Good evening,

Does anyone know - for sure - if Audi is eating all the costs for the stage I and II processes for vehicles with are CPO and under warranty?

Sgt Steve

Good story to follow!

Old 01-19-2015, 02:01 AM
1st Gear

Hey Sgt Steve, if your vehicle is under warranty Audi should cover all costs, so don't let them hit you for the oil consumption tests, just speak to them like you know what you are talking about and that you should not have to pay for the test when Audi know what the problem is. However, just be aware Audi will not touch your car if you decline the test, you do need to go through there procedures, just advise them you are not paying. As an update to my previous note when our lawyer got involved guess what???? Audi are not charging us to fix the vehicle, we are only out of pocket $500 bucks for lawyers fees, which is measley compared to almost ten grand that they wanted to charge us, stick to your guns, threaten legal action and they will bend over!

Old 01-19-2015, 09:58 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ifsogirl72
Hi Peoples, i have been reading about the oil consumption problem on this forum and others and have yet to come across a reason for why this is happening, my husband is a mechanical engineer and i can give you the exact reason. It is because the bottom ring of the pistons is the oil feed ring and the oil return ring, so that when the pistons go up oil gets fed through that ring to lubricate the piston and the ball, and then when the piston comes back down the next ring above it is the scraper ring so it scrapes the oil back down, the oil coats the cylinder and then it is meant to go back down through the bottom ring but the oil can't do that because the ring gets blocked up and they block up because of the way the bottom ring is is poorly designed, the design of the bottom ring causes the clogging up of oil and can not go back down as the oil is supposes to do. It is a known fault around the world that the design or manufacture if you like is faulty and there have been many class actions around the world. I am in Victoria, Australia and our car is 4 years old and Audi want us to pay $9100.00 to fix this problem, but we are going to sue and it's in the hands of our lawyers. If Audi don't want to fix this problem and you are out of warranty see a lawyer. Audi have been using many reasons why this is not a problem and a class action was settled in California for excessive oil consumption, you do need to replace the pistons and rings because the have have redesigned the rings and they won't fit in the exsiting engine, they have to change the con rod which connects the pistons to the crankshaft as the pistons are a completely different design.

Hope this helps, Audi Suck! and so does their customer service, you should not have to pay for an oil consumption test either as Audi know what the fault is, they are making you double dip and the are actually making money from this fault.
That's a pretty good summary and as a retired mechanical engineer and an old motorhead of 50+ years I too believe it is a design problem . The oil control ring is critical for scraping the cylinder wall and if clogged will cause the problem. Poor maintenance will also help this along with using the wrong oil but I believe the design is flawed. It seems with the introduction of the 2.0T motor Audi started to experience oil issues. The redesign of the motor in 2009 should have fixed this but again Audi didn't fix the problem. Some say they got a bad set of rings but being there seemed to be no way of tracing it I had to believe it was a bigger problem. This in my opinion tarnishes the QUALITY of german automobiles. In order to stem the tide of customer complaints they came up with the 3 phase plan to verify if you have the problem. The plan should have been if your MMI oil gauge was less then full at 5000 miles then they should replace pistons and rings. Anything short of that is a patch and based on the law suit they had been found out . Unfortunately because the overall car has been successfully marketed this flaw has been low keyed and buried even to the point when owners thing it is acceptable to use a little oil between changes. So for those using 3 or 4 quarts of oil per 5000 miles I agree don't pay for anything from the dealer and get AOA on board as soon as possible. By the way I still see 2010 , 2011 , 2012 and 2013 with the same problem. Nice car but bad engine.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:23 PM
1st Gear
Default What is used to send oil level signal to the MMI?

I'm curious; anyone know if photo-cells are used to measure and send the oil level signal to the MMI?

I'm curious because they told me at my service call that it appeared there was excess oil consumption. Yet, I've had no signal of this on the MMI, no little oil can symbols (red or yellow!) on the screen. Sounds like b.s.

I had a full write up explaining all this but there's something remiss with my computer here so...

Sgt Steve

Old 01-19-2015, 10:10 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by SgtSteve
I'm curious; anyone know if photo-cells are used to measure and send the oil level signal to the MMI?

I'm curious because they told me at my service call that it appeared there was excess oil consumption. Yet, I've had no signal of this on the MMI, no little oil can symbols (red or yellow!) on the screen. Sounds like b.s.

I had a full write up explaining all this but there's something remiss with my computer here so...

Sgt Steve
I thought you bought a dip stick ?

Old 01-20-2015, 07:54 PM
1st Gear
Default How did they determine excess oil consumption, hmmm

Jag, Ifso, lemme' give you the exploded version of my service call. First off, Jag...no I did not but had planned but I'll 'splain below.

Last Thursday I had a 25,000 mile service call. After 2 hours the service writer asks me if I can tell her (and she will advise the tech) if I've added oil (bought the A4 with 21,000 on the odo, service was for 25,000). Told her "nope". I asked why the tech wanted to know. So I talk to her and the service manager and they tell me the tech had noted "excess oil consumption". Of course they couldn't locate the tech.

So I went ahead and scheduled the "stage I". Still trying to find out how the tech determined excess oil consumption because: 1) only ever saw 3/8" blank space on the MMI oil graph 2) NEVER had any blinking or yellow or red oil can symbols! Still with me?

OK, when I had returned home I pop the hood and there - on the fan shroud - is this oil dip stick! Nice, lined out in mili-liters! Set **** / thumb screw on the "handle" end to make the dipstick usable for different engines. So the only thing I can determine is that the tech used the dip stick PRIOR to doing any service on my A4. If the level was low...why no MMI, why no blinking little oil can symbols? I'll keep ya' posted and in the meantime I'm using their dipstick.

My thoughts: there may have been VERY LITTLE oil consumption and since it's an "unbusy" time of the year...let's make work. Sorry, I sound cynical!

Sgt Steve

Old 01-20-2015, 08:50 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by SgtSteve
Jag, Ifso, lemme' give you the exploded version of my service call. First off, Jag...no I did not but had planned but I'll 'splain below.

Last Thursday I had a 25,000 mile service call. After 2 hours the service writer asks me if I can tell her (and she will advise the tech) if I've added oil (bought the A4 with 21,000 on the odo, service was for 25,000). Told her "nope". I asked why the tech wanted to know. So I talk to her and the service manager and they tell me the tech had noted "excess oil consumption". Of course they couldn't locate the tech.

So I went ahead and scheduled the "stage I". Still trying to find out how the tech determined excess oil consumption because: 1) only ever saw 3/8" blank space on the MMI oil graph 2) NEVER had any blinking or yellow or red oil can symbols! Still with me?

OK, when I had returned home I pop the hood and there - on the fan shroud - is this oil dip stick! Nice, lined out in mili-liters! Set **** / thumb screw on the "handle" end to make the dipstick usable for different engines. So the only thing I can determine is that the tech used the dip stick PRIOR to doing any service on my A4. If the level was low...why no MMI, why no blinking little oil can symbols? I'll keep ya' posted and in the meantime I'm using their dipstick.

My thoughts: there may have been VERY LITTLE oil consumption and since it's an "unbusy" time of the year...let's make work. Sorry, I sound cynical!

Sgt Steve
OK thanks and keep an eye on it. I don't know how the MMI measures the oil level but assume it is a proximity sensor of some type or a liquid level sensor. 3/8's of a quart is not a consumption problem unless it's at 100 miles. Good luck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What's the verdict? -Oil Consumption