B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

What's the verdict? -Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 01:00 AM
1st Gear

Hi, I just bought an A4 2010 Quattro 2.0t with 129k and just had to add 2 quarts of oil within 300 miles. getting an oil consumption test in the morning. I just spoke with the previous owner and he thought it was normal to put in 4 quarts between oil change. he had it since 54k and never brought it up to service adviser. Any Help will be great.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:43 PM
1st Gear
Default Follow-up...old boss used to say

Jag, Ifso, all,

My old boss used to say if it's really that important then write it down so I sent my fax to the dealer and asked how they determined excess consumption.

I did find out that supposedly it's a prox switch and at some level (max or min?) it's an item similar to a photo cell (?).

A very good friend that's been a service manager at Chrysler and Ford too...explained that the new bottom ends, higher temps, multi and full syn stuff will actually show your oil level higher (after approx 1 hr sitting) than what will be shown after the vehicle sits overnight. I thought I was going batty, that maybe the A4 was MAKING it's own oil.

It used to be that you'd wait overnight in order to get the full, cold, reading. As well one of the many reasons they "seal" the tranny is that customers would question if their tranny fluid was ok...not knowing that the temp (especially on the newer models) has mucho to do with the tranny fluid level...even more than the crankcase. OK, let's think good stuff.

Sgt Steve

Old 01-22-2015, 08:54 PM
1st Gear
Default 4 quarts

Win,

Ya' know sometimes you just shake your head and say "what?", maybe the previous owner never talked much to other drivers/owners/gear heads but this is 2015 and in all reality oil use hasn't been much of a factor in several years for just about any vehicle.

But it does sound like you've got some wrestling to do and maybe in the mud! I don't know enough (concerning Audi) to give advice but I'd say go back to the beginning of this discussion and even if you run through the posts quickly - you'll get the idea. There's a couple of people on here that are techs or engineers or whatever and you can tell by their input and terminology that they know a little more specifically about the Audi.

I have a ten year old Harley, beautiful Fat Boy, and it required a lot of input from a forum and friends in order for me to resolve an oil use problem. Yeah, I know it's a Harley and there's all kind of jokes but there was a problem. It's fine now but I had to scratch it out.

Sgt Steve

Old 01-23-2015, 11:05 AM
1st Gear
Default 2010 A4 oil consumption

There was a class action lawsuit that was settled in California against Audi of America with 09-10 a4 excessive oil use on sept 2014 and I contacted AoA and they reply back to me quickly. Also the neillo Audi in Sacramento told me to sit tight and keep putting oil in until end of this month and AoA is going to announce some fix on this oil consumption.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:11 PM
1st Gear

Yes Bro. I agree!, I had the kit done last week at Audi here in Germany. after 3 months of tests,top ups,and getting pissed. they did the complete piston replacement kit.I am monitoring it closely .
Don

Old 01-24-2015, 11:22 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by mwrpbo
Yes Bro. I agree!, I had the kit done last week at Audi here in Germany. after 3 months of tests,top ups,and getting pissed. they did the complete piston replacement kit.I am monitoring it closely .
Don
How many miles does your A4 have? Did Audi pay for the whole repair? AoA
Called me yesterday and told me that my car is past the 80k extended warranty And they want me to pay for the $800 oil consumption test and then they will decided if they might consider fixing it under good will but slim chance. Also they told me they are sending out notices to affected engines. On Monday I am just going to seek legal consultation.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:34 PM
1st Gear

My Audi A4 owners manual says it it's normal to use 1/2 a quart every 600 miles! My dad didn't believe me when I said it...until I showed him the manual. I'm not a dumb blonderolleyes:

Old 01-30-2015, 09:40 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Madimcksaudi
My Audi A4 owners manual says it it's normal to use 1/2 a quart every 600 miles! My dad didn't believe me when I said it...until I showed him the manual. I'm not a dumb blonderolleyes:
That sounds about right. 1200 miles on a quart is acceptable to Audi . That is their legal scapegoat but if you press them they will run the consumption test at their expense.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:47 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ryanlenz87
Just wanted to share my experience with everyone here. I own a 2009 A4 2.0T and had oil consumption issues. I first noticed the issue when the car had about 30,000 miles, but at that point it was burning 1 quart every 5,000 miles so i was not too concerned. It gradually got worse and I eventually took the vehicle in when it had 55,000 miles (closest dealership 300 miles away). At this point it was burning a quart every 1,500 miles. I paid for the first portion of the consumption check out of pocket. Did not feel comfortable driving 300 miles once the engine said low oil and explained that to the dealership, but they didn't do anything about it. The problem continued to get worse and a year later they finally put a dealership in my city. At this point there was 74,000 miles on the car and it was burning much quicker, so I took it in and they said they ran some tests on it. I still had my paperwork from the work done at the first dealership and they honored that and I skipped through the first portion and they tested the consumption and found it was burning a quart every 340 miles. I opened a claim with Audi customer service and was able to get the 2nd step of the process of replacing the pistons and piston rings in full (usually $3,000 replacement cost). I don't know if I am lucky or if others are finding Audi forgiving with the issue or if my case was so severe that they acknowledged there was a problem.
Sounds very similar to what i'm going though now. Audi A6 3.0T, purchased used with 49k miles on it. It's burning 1 qrt every 1500 to 2000 miles. I keep hearing about this "oil consumption check"... anyone have experience going through that? Costs?

Old 02-05-2015, 10:54 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jagtoes
That sounds about right. 1200 miles on a quart is acceptable to Audi . That is their legal scapegoat but if you press them they will run the consumption test at their expense.
Audi A6 3.0 T Owner here - Great feedback but do they provide any insight into what will happen to the pistons and rings over time? It can't be good. I'd rather they just came out and said... look you're going to burn oil and expect to replace pistons and rings every so often. I'm a traveling sales guy covering the North Eastern US... this car is my horse and I'm envisioning breaking down on one of the turnpikes. KEEP A CLOSE EYE OUT FOR THE AUDI's owners on the side of the highways while traveling ;-)

Quick Reply: What's the verdict? -Oil Consumption