B9 Models Please discuss all 2015+ B9 A4 topics here

2017 A4 Bluetooth MMI question

Old 08-19-2016, 11:41 AM
MPB
1st Gear
Default 2017 A4 Bluetooth MMI question

Hi. New member. Recently traded 2013 A4 for 2017 A4 Premium Plus package. With the 2013 model my IPhone would connect automatically and Pandora would start playing seamlessly. With the 2017 model Bluetooth connection is made immediately, but music doesn't start to play unless the phone is plugged into the USB port in the center arm rest. Even stranger is that music does NOT play if the phone is plugged into the USB port under the center display, in front of the gear shift. Any ideas on this? Thanks.

Old 08-21-2016, 12:20 PM
1st Gear

I'm confused by one detail - I wasn't aware there WAS a USB port under the center display. Certainly on my (US) Premium Plus, the two ports under the armrest are the only ones, and considered the Carplay/Android Auto ports for bandwidth reasons. Carplay in particular REQUIRES USB to function with Carplay Apps - of which Pandora is one. It's a bandwidth thing for more raw data, video (and higher bitrates) to get to the screen.

However I have endured some very weird bugs with media, period - I lose reception on FM and Sirius channels - but it comes back instantly if I re-press one of the preset buttons. And sometimes if I play a song on the SD card, it starts playing at ignition regardless of whether it was the last thing I did in the previous session.

EDIT:

Hey, silly question perhaps, but do you perhaps have a USB adapter plugged into the cigarette lighter/AC socket in front of your gearstick? If you do, there's zero computing connection via that method, just AC power to charge your phone. Only the USB ports under the armrest are actually connected to MMI.

Last edited by Frank O'Connor; 08-21-2016 at 01:17 PM.
Old 12-16-2016, 05:10 PM
1st Gear
Default 2017 A4 Bluetooth MMI question

I have a 2017 Audi A4 Premium sedan and I get intermittent CarPlay issues. The Bluetooth connection normally works fine, however the CarPlay will occasionally have issues. Biggest issue is that if you toggle from CarPlay to say your radio through the Radio/Meddia toggle swith and want to comeback to CarPlay, that does not work. Also if you use MENU and the wheel to get to your Audi Smartphone/CArPlay icon, and push the **** to get back to CarPlay it does not work mostly. However, it does work sometimes. I went to show this issue to Audi Dealership and unfortunately in front of them it worked and I could not duplicate the issue there. It is still happening.

also, sometimes when I plug my iphone 6 into the USB adapter, quite often it does not connect and I have to plud it in and out a few times and then it does. It is so frustrating that I now primarily use the Bluetooth connection for phone, music etc and the use Waze on the phone for navigation insted of Apple MAPS through CArPlay. How unfortunate, as CarPlay integration was one of the maain reasons for buying the 2017 Audi A4.

Any advice, fixes?

Old 12-16-2016, 05:43 PM
1st Gear

Sounds similar to mine. I also can't program any radio buttons now that my free Sirius trial has expired. And they need to update the map updating software, as well as the actual maps. Installing a Java compiler/client is NOT a reasonable consumer solution.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:19 AM
1st Gear

I am having a similar problem with my new A4 allroad. The phone is only being recognized intermittently when plugged into the USB and therefore the Android Auto icon isn't showing up. Also, when I try to manually connect the phone through the connection manager the phone doesn't stay connected. The MMi app is running and the phone is recognized by bluetooth. I tried a different cable and no change. Anyone find a solution?