Classic Audi A section to discuss the models that have made Audi famous of the years...

85 UR quattro

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 06:18 PM
4th Gear

I seriously need a project car like this...

Maybe the B5 I have once I have something to replace it...

Old 09-02-2011, 12:24 PM
1st Gear

So a couple of weeks ago now (I've been on vacation) I took the car to a RallyCross. before you get too excited, no, I didn't run the car, just took it out there to see the new Detroit Region course and hang with my RallyCross buddies most of whom haven't seen the car yet. Parked it right in the middle of the paddock for maximum exposure but was soon joined by another red Audi:

IMG_0569 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

On the way there I tried the cruise control as I was on a freeway for about 30 minutes. I was very impressed that it still worked but even more impressed how it held the speed rock steady over hill and dale. Awesome.

IMG_0566 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

No. that's km/h not mph. I beleive this represents exactly 70mph

The last 15 minutes to the event was on the smoothest dirt road I have ever seen. The car thought it was at Rally Finland!

IMG_0567 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

I booked it out of there before a big storm rolled through but had a great time doing ride alongs with some of the competitors. Glad I took my helmet. I was quite pleased with how the car drove and that it didn't, for once, break any parts or show any previously hidden issues; or so I thought. This is what I discovered the other day:

IMG_0580 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

Yep, broken exhaust hanger. Anyone know where to get one of these? Car is still serviceable thanks to the wonders of cable ties.

IMG_0581 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

No wonder they call these a rally icon. There's more cable ties on this than my rally car now!

I'm still struggling to find the correct distributor rotor for the car. The first had the same electrode as the current one but was too small to fit over the shaft. The latest (#3) fits but the electrode is smaller. Can I use this one?

IMG_0565 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

Still need a new gas cap too.

Cars and Coffee at Kart 2 Kart tomorrow.

Later

Last edited by team illuminata; 08-24-2016 at 08:28 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:00 PM
1st Gear

Time for an update. Been doing a bit of driving and a bit of maintenance. Car has been behaving itself lately too. Took it on a 3 hour round trip to Northern Ohio a few weeks ago:

IMG_0669 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

Though it was daylight I ran it with the headlights on both ways as a test. Someone, perhaps on here, had mentioned how the headlight switch can get really warm and sometimes can melt the connector behind the switch. I thought, with Fall approaching, it might be an idea to see if they would survive and indeed they did but, I must say, the switch did get alarmingly warm. In fact I would go as far as to describe it as "hot"! So when I got back I put it on my list to investigate the wiring with a view to maybe adding some relays.

It was during this process that I decided my main beams weren't working as I couldn't get the inner-most set of lights to come on. Later, with the car in the shop I could clearly see the main beams change from low beam so was a little puzzled. Once I got the lights off the car I realized that it has dual filamet H4s or something and they are wired up and work but the innermost high beams are not wired up wihch is why I didn't see them come on and why I thought they weren't working. In the daylight I couldn't see the H4s change to main beam. This must all be a consequence of the Euro headlight conversion the car underwent sometime in its past. So, I am going to rewire the headlights and all main beams to function using the headlight switches to control relays powered directly from the battery. I think I can create a harness for this that will just plug into the existing wiring without doing any cutting or splicing too. We will see.

I did discover that the headlight adjusters are missing too. Apparantly these were automatic motorized jobbies on the Euro cars but manual ones can be used too. Anyone shed any light on this?

IMG_0591 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

I also discovered a bit of rust behind the right side headlight. I'll have to get a bit of stop-rust on that later.

IMG_0590 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

While I had the lights out I thought it a good idea to have a look at the air filter as it seems impossible to get at it from above. Look:

IMG_0593 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

I manged to pry the lid off enough, but just enough, to ease the filter out.

IMG_0594 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

It was really tight and the clips were hard to reach. In fact it looks like the previous owner managed to pinch one of the pleats between the lid and housing last time it was replaced. Probably wasn;t sealing too well I bet:

IMG_0595 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

Turns out it has a washable K&N filter so I washed it, oiled it and put it back

IMG_0596 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

After checking the filter I thought it might be a good idea to check the spark plugs especially as they are so easy to get at. hey were all in pretty good shape but were of the triple electrode type from Bosch. I thought these were a bit hokey so went in pursuit of some replacements only to be told that these are the correct ones the car came with. Is ths right?

IMG_0598 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

IMG_0600 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

I tried the new narrow contact rotor arm on the run to Ohio. The car ran fine but didn't feel as powerful so I have swapped back the wider one. Feels better again. I have found a Porsche part number for the wide rotor arm and endeavoring to acquire one through our local Porsche dealer. The pld w one is not in bad shape but a new one can't hurt.

My brand new gas cap came in too and proved successful during the Ohio trip. I can now run a full tank withought is pouring down the side of the car.

On the way back through Canada last week I swung by the previous previous owners shop for a visit. I had hoped to be in the quattro but those plans fell through but still, it was good to visit with Rob and share stories of the car. I snagged a few original parts to such as the quad lights and ac parts. perhaps I'll put them on one day.Thanks Rob.

IMG_0665 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

IMG_0666 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

I'm trying to drive the car as much as possible rather than working on it as winter is approaching but I still have a few things I want to do sooner rather than later such as the headlight relays, rotor arm, breather hose and radio though I must say I am enjoying my 80s Duran Duran albums lately.

Last edited by team illuminata; 08-24-2016 at 08:30 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:48 AM
1st Gear

Not much URQ action lately

I did find an almost new radio on eBay though Thanks Artur.

IMG_0748 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

to replace the bling thing that's in it now:

IMG_0149 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

I may have an opportunity to drive the car this week as a friend of mine wants to barter a drywall job for a drive in the car! Not a bad deal hey?

Last edited by team illuminata; 08-24-2016 at 08:33 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:31 PM
4th Gear

I love this thread

Old 11-02-2011, 02:52 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bradtyler02
I love this thread
That's very gratifying to hear but what are you going to do when I really start ripping into the car?

Old 11-02-2011, 06:06 PM
4th Gear

maintain my subscription...

Old 11-26-2011, 08:35 PM
1st Gear

Took the UR quattro out for one last blast today before I put it away for the winter. Strange concept for me this. Not used to it at all. Car performed flawlessly again and was a joy to drive I took it to say "Au revoir" to Francois' URQ which is off to Maryland then home to say "Bonjour" to our new A3. Not much family resemblance here IMHO.

IMG_0852 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

IMG_0853 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

IMG_0854 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

IMG_0855 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

After this little rendevous I filled it with gas, added a bottle of Stabil, took it back to the shop and gave it a good wash. Tomorrow I will wax it and put it away As it will be down for a fair few months I intend to do some serious work on it. Stay tuned for developments

Last edited by team illuminata; 08-24-2016 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:00 PM
1st Gear

I tried putting the new-old radio in before I put the car away but got flummoxed by the unusual (to me) mini DIN speaker sockets on the back of the unit (top left)

IMG_0861 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

Apparantly the plugs that go into them look like these:

blaupunkt_speaker_connectors by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

blaupunkt speaker connectors 3 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

blaupunkt speaker connectors 4 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

But of course, mine are long gone, replaced by some fatter, after market speaker wire. I did get the thing to power up and make noise by touching bare wires to the terminals so that's a good sign.

We had a bit of fun before we put the car away, test fitted an 18" BRAID Winrace A off a customers A3. I think it looks, er, interesting. Offset is all wrong and the tire is an inch to tall but it looks kind of cool IMHO

IMG_0903 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

IMG_0904 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

HEY, WHERES IT GONE !!

IMG_0915 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

Ah, there it is. I think this is called "hibernating"

IMG_0937 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

I also been doing a bit of "aquisition" on the parts front. Snagged this huge workshop manual and lug bolt covers from eBay UK.

IMG_0897 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

IMG_0898 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

IMG_0934 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

Did these cars come with lug nut covers? Lug nut heads are certainly ugly affairs. Still need a removal tool though.

My sister made me this lovely canvas of the car for Christmas

canvas by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

and then I bought myself this to get me through the long, dark winter nights

IMG_0942 by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

Last edited by team illuminata; 08-24-2016 at 08:37 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:14 PM
Tech Guru

Me want

Quick Reply: 85 UR quattro