Classic Audi A section to discuss the models that have made Audi famous of the years...

Block Heater

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 03:19 AM
T90
1st Gear
Default Block Heater

I have question for you folks, do Audis come with block heaters installed? And if they do, where is the cord hidden? I would like to know because the cold weather is on its way here (-40) and if the car doesn;t have one I will need to get one installed. Thanks.

The car in question is a 1993 100Q CS, and it has a snowflake in the lwoer drivers corner of the windshield signifying some sort of cold weather package.

Thanks

Trev

Old 11-17-2005, 04:17 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Block Heater

If you have a Diesel, maybe, if gas engine, probably not.

Gas engines will usually start at below 0, as long as you have a good battery.

Diesels have the unfortunate habit of the fuel gelling. If the car in question was intended for sale in -40 areas, as you suggest, most likely an optional heater was installed. If for more temperate climates, say 10 or 20 above, maybe, maybe not.

Cheers,

George

Old 11-17-2005, 04:29 AM
T90
1st Gear

I live in North Central British Columbia, in winter it is not uncommon for the temps to dip to -40 for a week at a time and the block heater is there to keep the antifreeze from freezing solid of crystalizing as well it allows for an easier start and a shorter warm up period as well as preventing heat shock to the block and cracking it in severe cold I will have a look and if it doesnt have one that will bethe numebr one thing on my list to get.

Old 11-17-2005, 04:48 AM
2nd Gear

On My older A6, the block heater was a after thought installation and I bought in Montana. They have a high strength glued on patch with a cord coming out that comes off the oil pan and usually just gets wrapped around some stuff. Mine is zip tied to something. Anyway, that is the Audi idea of a block heater, look at your oil pan if there is a cord coming off, follow it to the plug and plug it in. Not likely standard equipment though. Does your 100 have a v6? The cord should be right at your front bumper if it does. I am not sure on the 4's.

Old 11-17-2005, 06:32 AM
T90
1st Gear

Perfect I will have a look there tomorrow morning. It does have the 2.8 V6 in it as well.

Old 11-17-2005, 09:43 PM
2nd Gear

Block heater is optional equipment. You cab probably buy one on-line and have it installed. I have seen oil heaters that replace your oil dips stick. I am sure that NAPA and JCWhitney has them.

Old 11-18-2005, 01:39 AM
1st Gear

T90,

That IS cold, isn't it?

Were I to install one, I would get an internal heater, have a mechanic install it in one of the core holes, better known as freeze plugs, or Welch Plugs.

They directly heat the coolant in the block, and, I think, with a warm block, the oil, too, is warmed. And, too, as you say, iron and steel do get brittle in extreme cold. That big chunk of iron and aluminum would be nice and warm.

The dipstick heater, I tried on my own diesel many years ago. They do not put out a lot of heat and, remember, only about 3 inches of it can be submerged in the oil. To produce enough heat to help, it would probably carbonize the oil in contact with it, insulating it further.

And, too, if you have a turbo, if it is not specifically designed to fit, and seal the dipstick tube, you might have a no start situation with a vacuum leak there. Do you lift the hood to remove it every AM?

You might also consider a plate type battery heater. Just lift the battery, put down the heater, replace the battery, plug it in.

Have a nice winter. 20s here, right now, and hating it already.

Cheers,

George