Computer & Fuel Systems Talk about the computer, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

Fuel tank, sensor problems...help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 03:11 PM
1st Gear
Exclamation Fuel tank, sensor problems...help!

I just bought my first audi 1 month ago. It's a 2003 Audi A6 3.0 quattro. Beautiful car BUT, I started smelling gas fumes right after I bought it. The Ford dealership where I bought the car dropped the tank and determined that one of the valves on the fuel tank is leaking. They were "100%" sure that it was the rollover valve which has been recalled so I took it to the audi dealership. Since they dropped the tank and emptied out all the fuel I went straight to the gas station. On my way the car said 10 miles to empty so I put 15.00 worth of gas in it got in and now it says 0 miles to empty. UGH! To top it off, it's NOT the rollover valve. It's a whole other valve that is also molded into the fuel tank so the whole tank needs to be replaced. Dealer quoted 2900.00! Point of my story is that we are going to replace the gas tank ourselves but what else needs to be replaced when we drop it? Is there a specific sensor that would cause it to say there is no fuel when there is? Has anyone replaced a tank before? Could use ANY advice at this point!! Oh and by the way, once it's fixed it's for SALE!! I can't go through this all the time

Old 12-12-2010, 12:25 AM
1st Gear
Unhappy Gas leaks

This is very common in Audi cars. I bought my 2000 Audi A6 2.7 liter turbo quattro in 2007. May 2010 After returning from a road trip in which car performed great. I filled gas tank up and after parking in driveway I noticed gas leaking from the bottom right below the passenger seat. I looked under it andsaw gas leaking from the top of the gas tank. I then drove car out on the highway praying nothing go wrong to use up the gas in the tank. Thank God that worked. Then returned home and parked in driveway. seven month later after looking over the internet I see that alot of people have the same problem. I called AudiUSA and inquired about the gas tank issues with Audi cars and they told me that the previous owner had already got the recall work done. I complained to the Audi rep that my car is leaking gas now and I wanted it fixed. I was told to take my car to a local Audi dealership for dianostic which will cost between $300 - $500. Total robbery. Do anyone no how to drop a Audi A6 gas tank, if you do please help with instruction.