Dealerships Review(s) of dealerships that sell or service Audi's

Ask A Dealer Salesman

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 12:24 AM
1st Gear

Is wanting to order a car with specific options (and wait 6+ weeks for delivery) a point in my favor for negotiating a price, or against? I'm sure the dealer would love to sell me something they already have, but if I'm genuinely not interested in what's on the lot and willing to wait, can I suggest that there's much lower overhead for them to just manage the ordering process for me?

Old 09-23-2012, 03:34 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by algorithm
Is wanting to order a car with specific options (and wait 6+ weeks for delivery) a point in my favor for negotiating a price, or against? I'm sure the dealer would love to sell me something they already have, but if I'm genuinely not interested in what's on the lot and willing to wait, can I suggest that there's much lower overhead for them to just manage the ordering process for me?

Sorry I haven't been on here lately to answer questions, just switched to a new dealership and loving it, we sold 18 cars yesterday, the place was literally like a zoo, love to see that means people are starting to feel comfortable again spending money getting the things they want and need, the american way.

To answer your question. That's absolutely not true, they will be willing to give you a better price on a car they do have there so they can put that number in there numbers for the month to hit their bonuses.

For example, I had a customer who wanted a crush orange 6 speed manual rubicon jeep wrangler, with a couple of packages that you usually don't see together. I tried switching him to a white rubicon automatic with leather etc fully loaded for 41k vs the 38k msrp of the one he wants to order. We would have been willing to work harder on the price for the one we had on the lot now we have to wait 7-10 weeks for the car to be built and shipped out from detroit. he's completely okay with that and understands theres literally one of the exact car he wants in a 1,000 mile radius.

To answer your question, if your looking for a better deal it will most likely happen with one thats on the lot. go in at the end of the month leave a deposit and place the factory order

Old 09-23-2012, 10:53 PM
1st Gear

Congrats on your move and on seeing some real upswing!

Originally Posted by Ask.A.Dealer.Salesman
To answer your question. That's absolutely not true, they will be willing to give you a better price on a car they do have there so they can put that number in there numbers for the month to hit their bonuses.
Thanks. I appreciate you taking time to demystify the car buying process.

Yeah, I started thinking a bit more about the motivation being higher to sell what they've already invested in ... unfortunately I've got a pretty specific configuration in mind, and there's nothing even close within a huge radius ... seem like no one even carries MT anymore :/, ahh well.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:41 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by algorithm
Congrats on your move and on seeing some real upswing!

Thanks. I appreciate you taking time to demystify the car buying process.

Yeah, I started thinking a bit more about the motivation being higher to sell what they've already invested in ... unfortunately I've got a pretty specific configuration in mind, and there's nothing even close within a huge radius ... seem like no one even carries MT anymore :/, ahh well.
I would suggest becoming a Costco member if you arent already and tell them that you want the Costco preferred price and would like to see the invoice, again do this at the end of the month, if they don't do it find another dealership that will. also use truecar its the same thing basically, allows you to get cars a little above invoice

Old 10-22-2012, 06:48 PM
1st Gear

This is a really good thread and kudos to you AADS for putting in the time to answer our questions!

Question I had was particularly about financing. I just picked up a 2009 A3 earlier this month. At the start of my whole researching and checking out cars, I had accepted the fact that I probably wouldn't get the A3 that I had wanted. Got preapproved at my credit union bank for 3.99% 60mos $25k. When I asked if I could possible get more than $25k for 72mos at the same rate, they wouldn't. When I originally went to carmax, when the guy ran some numbers, he couldn't get me anything better than that or equal to it a 72mos term.

Then I started working with this Audi/VW dealership about an hour and half away from me and they were able to work with my bank to get me a 72mos term, 3.99%, and with Audi Care, and a bunch of other deals for a CPO Audi A3. It seemed almost unbelievable when the F&I guy told me that, but I made the 1.5hr trip out there, test drove the A3, signed the papers, and I was on my way. Before we left, the salesman asked me if I wanted to wait another 2hrs so they could do a full detailing (he said that full detailing would normally take half a day). I agreed, walked around the area, and came back to a silky smooth, bright and shiny A3. Then he even bought me an Audi shirt from their giftshop and filled up the tank. (completely unheard of when speaking about car salesmen...have never ran into a salesman that tops off your tank and buys you a $30 Audi tshirt).

My question is, how did that all work out? THe dealership mentioned something about this group their dealership is part of called Credit Union Direct Lending and that my bank was part of that group, too. Could that have played a huge role them working out my deal?

Last edited by LURK; 10-22-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:37 PM
1st Gear

I'm in the mkt for a new car. Looking at Q5,quattro,2.0,Ibis white,chestnut lthr.,htd frt seats,rear bags-I'm in KY & will do a fly & drive whatever. Also looking at X3. No trade,cash deal, buy not lease. Q5 is a bit less than X3 . Looking for a discounting dealer within say 1,000k of Eastern KY. 'Costco prices are not close to invoice & on other brands matching them is not a big effort. USAA is closer but there are BMW dealers that do invoice plus $500 & also several that do MSRP less 7to9%. My closest Audi dealer offers zero discounting.
Help! read my Q5 section post today too. thanks!!!
If you react to help please give all the details as to location and options,etc on deals you made.

Last edited by kantuckid; 11-01-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:36 PM
1st Gear

Know if I could replace headlight package on a 2012 A6 to upgrade to the LED TYPE.?

Old 11-19-2012, 10:33 AM
Former Sponsor

There is no retrofit kit from Audi to do this. Since these new cars have so many options integrated into the wiring harness doing a swap like this would involve replacing lights, connectors and or wiring harnesses, maybe even switches in the dash if they are in fact different. The lights that move based on steering wheel input would involve a different harness for example, you'd have to make your own or if you happened to have found a parts car, transfer over probably way more wiring than you thought you'd originally have to.

When I was working parts at Porsche, we had a Cayenne customer put xenon lights in his car. He did it and our reply to him was the same as mine to you. But with enough time and money he did get them working in his car. But he had the factory wiring diagrams too, Porsche at that time was selling I think it was an 18 book set of manuals. Audi doesn't sell manuals. To do this job you'd have to buy what you need from https://erwin.audiusa.com/erwin/showHome.do

Old 07-31-2013, 09:57 AM
Senior Administrator

thread-bump