Dealerships Review(s) of dealerships that sell or service Audi's

Sonnen Audi, San Rafael, CA

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 11:28 PM
Default Sonnen Audi, San Rafael, CA

I just bought my first Audi (2006 A3 2.0T Sport, 33k mi) about a week ago from Sonnen Audi in San Rafael, CA. We test drove the car on Monday, decided to buy it the next day, and went in Wednesday morning to make the sale. We went in with a good rate from our bank, but opted to see if the dealer could do better. After banging out the loan app, it seemed to take an eternity to get the results. As I suspected, our bank was still the best, but better to wait and know for sure.

The vehicle was already at a good price as far as we were concerned, but I pushed for them to fix the small door dings as part of the sale. I received a ticket for the work to be completed at a later more convenient date (still haven't done it yet). As usual, they pushed the extended warranty. After asking for the service record of the vehicle (which they claimed they only had the record from that dealership), it looked like the car had been routinely serviced at the same dealership. We opted to extend the warranty a few years as it wasn't going to add too much to the price.

After getting it off the lot, I noticed some road noise I hadn't noticed during the test drive. I chalked it up to not being pressured by the sales rep, and also being on a rough road. This dealership is almost 250 miles away from my house, and is still just about the closest Audi dealership. It wasn't until part way into this drive that I was convinced something was up, but turning around wasn't a valid option.

Since getting it home, it sounds like the sound has gotten louder, but it could be my imagination. The sales rep has since called to do a follow up of the sale, and I mentioned issue. I've now taken it to a trusted local tire shop to discover that the rear tires are pretty new, but the front tires look like the originals. Both sets are Pirelli, but have different tread patterns. My guys at the tire shop showed me where there was minor feathering, and severe cupping on the front tires. They even stated they were surprised the car was sold with tires in such a state. The wear was even obvious to me.

I've called our sales rep and informed him of the findings. After the expected initial defense of the dealership, he agreed to have his service department look at the tires on the next visit, and to discuss the possibility of new tires with his manager.

At this point, I casually Googled for complaints again Sonnen. I was disturbed by the Yelp ratings. Other than the tire issue, it's been a decent experience. I just hope I don't have any surprises in-store.