Detailing How do you keep your ride looking like new? Discuss it in here.

Who has had problems with new car paint?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 11:17 AM
1st Gear
Default paint defects

I have debris in the paint on one door, and a bubble that burst on the inside door jamb on another. I also have scuffs and scratches on the exterior window seals.

I have been trying for over two months to get Audi USA and the dealer to do something about the window seals, but I am getting nowhere with either.

***See my post " Audi defects" for further info.

I have my car protected with 3M Venture Shield paint protection film complete custom wrap, so I cant report on other types of paint issues.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:07 PM
1st Gear
Default Mine Too

Bought a new 2012 A4 and in less that a few months had a chip in the hood. Noticing more and more small chips in the hood area from normal road debris. The excuse is its water based paint now. I was told to get a clear coat bra, but should have it touched up first. Wish I would have known as I would have bought the bra upon purchase. However, I feel that the paint should not be this sensitive. They need to improve the paint quality. I wonder if there are any class action suites brewing.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:28 PM
mbd
1st Gear
Default S4 Paint Makes Me Cry

I have a similar experience to others who have posted. My black 2001 A6 has over 200k miles on it and the paint still looks abolutely beautiful -- like new.

My 2011 black S4 has spots all over the hood. At first I noticed a few small splotches on the hood; no one could remove them. They decided I "must have been dripped on in a parking garage".

Now some pollen recently got on the car. I washed it right away and now have splotches all over the hood. Help! I don't know what to do!

Old 07-18-2012, 06:05 PM
1st Gear

I leased a phantom black A4 2012 this past April.
As soon as I got the car I used the clay bar, polished with klasse all in one, and then waxed with glanz.

From day one I have seen spots on this car that I have never had with any other car in the past. I had recently sold my 2006 WRX with 161k miles on it and it looked better the day I sold it than this car does now in three months.

I used the same procedure on the Subaru, and the same polish and wax.

I brought it to my body shop to take a look and he blamed it on the water borne paint and said he has seen similar with 2012 Audi's.

I have no idea why the same products I have used in the past haven't protected this as they did the Subaru. Water spots on this car are awful as well. I have had black cars before and nothing has been this bad.

It's pretty disappointing to say the least. The body shop said he can wet sand it but that it makes no sense to do it now, because it will happen all over again. He said to bring it in when the lease is almost up.
He also said he might be able to do it two times, that three times would be pushing it. "there is only so much clear coat you can sand, and then you will have to repaint"

Awesome!

Old 07-18-2013, 11:46 AM
1st Gear

I bought a new a5 coupe black edition in black last December and also paid for the auto glym paint protection.On seeing the car in full sun the scratching was so bad It even needed wet and dry on the bonnet to remove the scratches (swiss vax).They said the paint is so soft even the slightest touch can scratch it.The dealer paid for the rectification but it wont be long before the scratches return no matter how carefull the car is washed.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:11 AM
1st Gear
Angry Rust spots

I've got an Audi a3 cab, it's only 2 years old after a year I noticed little rust spots all over the car, they took the car in to there workshop saying it was due to fall out. Looked lovely for a few months but recently I have noticed the rust spots coming back again, worse this time tho!! I have spoke to someone from Audi on the phone and there trying to tell me it's from mental in the air landing on the car or stops flicking at the car whilst driving (the car is covered in little spots all over the car bonnet boot sides of doors). Quite annoyed as i payed a lot of money for this car, which now looks crap as its covered in rust and its only 2 years old!!They trying to say there's nothing they can do as its nothing to do with the paintwork!! Any advice would be great as I seem to be getting no where, has anybody else had problems like this!!

Old 08-09-2013, 09:40 PM
1st Gear
Cool Bird Dung Eats Paint

Teak Brown Metallic 2011 A5 Cabriolet: Paint VERY susceptible to bird droppings. It's been like this since day one. I had the Audi service guy rub out a bunch of areas, then the other day at work a bird nailed me again, splattering crap all over the driver's door. I washed it off as soon as I got home but it still ate through the clear coat. I complained. There is an implied warranty such as "fitness for use" and I told them it darn sure well should be planned by Audi that a car is going to see some bird droppings. It would be different if I left it on there for days, but it's not even on there nine hours and it does this to the paint.

There definitely has to something wrong with the paint. I had a similar issue when I had a truck hood painted a few years back. Bug splatter on the truck hood would eat through the clear coat within hours. I complained and because it was done under insurance the insurance guaranteed it. I took it someplace else, they stripped it and repainted it, and no more issues. So, the first paint job was inferior. I don't know if the mix was wrong or what happened, but there WAS a difference between the first and second paint job. That's why I know for sure something was amiss in the Audi factory when they painted my car. None of my other cars do this.

The Audi dealer where I bought the car said he would mention this to the service manager and that they will talk to the Audi regional rep. I don't have much hope for resolution, but we'll see. I don't think anything short of a new and better clear coat will solve the problem.

Last edited by 447debbie; 08-09-2013 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention that Audi was going to mention this to rep.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:10 PM
1st Gear
Default paint sucks

I have a very low mileage 2009 A6 and the hood looks like it needs to be repainted. Bird droppings, sap, etc. This car has never been neglected. The paint on my 2007 Toyota Sienna shines in comparison. This car is washed weekly but a few days with some type of goo anywhere on the car leaves permanent marks. I am no stranger to high end vehicles and their electrical and mechanical demons but this is a joke. I have planned on keeping this car but am so disappointed with the paint issues that it might be the time to say "good bye"...

Old 09-14-2013, 03:51 AM
1st Gear

Bird droppings damage paint because of their acidic nature. This has a tendency to eat through the clear coat and on to the paint's primer.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:56 AM
1st Gear
Thumbs down No help from Audi

I contacted Audi North America. They purchased for me, Audi Shampoo and Audi bug remover. I don't know why they think THOSE products are going to solve the problem with bird crap and moth crap etching the paint within minutes. I know how to wash my car and I know how to remove the bugs (you wax the car and the bugs will wash off easily). I don't need car shampoo and bug remover. I need something to eliminate the etching problem, which is probably nothing short of a new paint job. Interesting that the front bumper doesn't etch from bugs, only the metal parts of the car are affected. A different kind of clear coat is used on the bumpers. Maybe they should use that clear coat on the metal parts too.

Quick Reply: Who has had problems with new car paint?