Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

A6 C5 seat control module toasting

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 11:09 PM
1st Gear
Default A6 C5 seat control module toasting

Hi All,
Finally getting around to fixing my seat that has been stuck in the same position for 5 or 6 months. Thought I was being slick by breaking open the module and soldering the obvious short. It worked well for a few minutes. Then noticed a slight dimming of dash lights when moving the seat back, then poof it is dead again.

Since the module did work in every direction (briefly) the problem is being caused by a short somewhere else. I would bet if I replace the module with a working one it will simply burn out. Does this hypothesis sound correct?

Ideas anyone? Could the short be from the motor itself?

Has anyone successfully simply removed the module or worked around it? I noticed the passenger side that does not have a memory/control module has 2 more wires going into the seat controls - looks like they provide additional power. Guessing if I can find the right 2 going into the module I can move them the the controls and just not have memory seats.

Cheers,
JustinofBoston

Old 07-26-2015, 02:36 PM
1st Gear
Default Update

So I resoldered and cleaned what connections I could below the seat. The module failed again rather quickly - I did get an intermittent short to ground seat back or something from vagcom, but I neglected to copy it and after it failed the error was gone.

The short may just be from the module - I ordered one and will test.

As for working around the module I jumped power to the said inputs and no go. After inspecting the rest of the wiring on the other side I realized that the wires going into the 10 pin connector were very different. Not worth the time when a used module for less tun $30 can be found.

Will update after installing newer module.

Old 08-22-2015, 08:53 PM
1st Gear

The module has been working a good 2 weeks, not that I move the seat a lot. There are still fault codes and I see a dimming of the lights when moving the seat back.

I found a thread in russian, googling the first code, and the answer - (google translation) "In general, broke off a hook-basis adjustment lumbar support and the whole structure rested on her wiring and gradually peretёrla"

Will update if I fix further.

Address 36 -------------------------------------------------------
Controller: 4B0 959 760 B
Component: Sitzmemory R1 F 0204
Coding: 00001
Shop #: WSC 00000
3 Faults Found:
01446 - Sensor for Driver Seat: Seatback Adjust (G230)
29-10 - Short to Ground - Intermittent
36-10 - Open Circuit - Intermittent
20-00 - Malfunction in Basic Setting