Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

SIRIUS Satellite Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 08:42 PM
1st Gear
Default SIRIUS Satellite Question

I currently have an o4 A6 w/ the satellite radio that has not been disconnected by the previous owner. I bought a SPORTSTER 5 so that I could use it when the current subscription goes away and I have to use something else to get my sat tunage.

My question is, is there a way that I can use the shark-fin antenna that is on the car and not the retarded bulbous thing that they send in the car kit? Can I plug the SPORTSTER into what is already there and use that?

If not, any suggestions on getting it to work out?

Old 11-13-2008, 09:40 AM
1st Gear
Default same Q

I have the same question/issue but with XM. I hope we get some knowledgeble replies :-)

Old 11-13-2008, 09:48 AM
1st Gear

Popcorn -

Being that I didnt hear anything here on AF, I went into CarToys and spoke w/ the manager. He stated that he's actually been able to put the antenna inside the sharkfin, but I dont see how that can work? I have been told that the antenna will only work when there is a clear shot into the sky. I take everything those yahoo's say w/ a grain of salt so Im still not sure how all that would work out.

Long short, I could hassle with this, mess with wires, try to get it all to work out, and cuss a whole lot along the way, or I can just pony up the 6.oo a month and be sure that when I press the sat radio on, that it will work. 18.oo total for 2 radios is nothing in the grand scheme of things when you consider how often I actually use the service.

After looking into what it would cost to get all this installed, hassle w/ the removable receiver for the sat and what not, IMO, its just easier to pay to have the current radio updated.

Which is what Im going to do as soon as the current subscription ( paid by the last owner ) has run its course.

Old 11-14-2008, 07:32 AM

I believe the sat antenna is already wired into the shark fin.

I installed the Sirius module myself in my 2004 A8 and it took me 3 minutes.

All the plugs were there pushed up out of ight in the trunk mounting area. My car had never
had sat before and the antenna connection was already there.