Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Trouble with my tail lamp pod

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 11:17 AM
1st Gear
Default Trouble with my tail lamp pod

Hi All. My car has a pod that houses all the lamps on the rear (tail, stop, fog, and LED turn), and is going out every time the car is started.

All lights work when started. Then all the incandescent bulbs start going out each time the car is run. The LED never shows as failed. I looked around the housing, and saw there was condensation inside the lens. I took the bulb holder (has a grid of conductors to power the lamps) from the lens and found it had been reassembled incorrectly, leaving a gap in the gasket.

While I had it apart, I sanded or filed all the connections on the holder and bulbs. I applied dielectric grease to all connections (plug too). Put it back together with the gasket in place. It still acts the same when I start the car (lights on, then begin to fail.) I even switched the pods from right to left to see if there were a wiring issue. Then the opposite side failed.

The question here is: do I need a new complete assembly? There is a circuit board in the lens housing for the LED, and it then has a connection to the holder for the other bulbs. Does it go bad? The LED never shows as failing, only the other bulbs. I'm horrible at diagnosis beyond what I've already done in trying to make sure connections were good.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.