General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1996 Audi A4 Transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 09:22 PM
1st Gear
Default 1996 Audi A4 Transmission problem

For the last couple of weeks, my A4 has been leaking water from the heater box whenever I ran the A/C. This left water pooling on the floor on the passenger side, front and rear floor. Not knowing any better, I wiped up the water with a towel and shop vac. For the last 2 days, the car would not go into reverse. It shifts fine going forward (no flashing lights). After some research, pulled up the carpet to find the TCM was wet.

I removed the TCM and have it in the hose hoping if it got wet, it didn't ruin it. Can anyone advise if it's too late for the TCM? Been seeing the prices and would not be able to spend the money.

My Audi is a 1996 A4 Quattro with 166,000 miles, but is in great shape. Love the car and hate the thought of having to sell.

Old 08-27-2016, 09:16 AM
2nd Gear

Let it dry out and try it again. Also, you'll need to get those A/C Drains cleaned out. Their designed to close up to prevent anything from getting into them from below. However, I find that when water has been sitting in them for a while, dirt and slimy crap starts to accumulate and create plug that stops them up. You really can't get at them from underneath as they are right above the transmission on either side of the console. If you remove the carpets and lower sides of the center console, you can get at those drains from the inside. They are made of silicone rubber so they don't get hard and brittle. However, I snipped the last mm or so off the ends to prevent them from closing all the way so water would not be able to sit in them. I've not had a waterfall out of the center console vents since. That was a good 5 years ago.

Old 08-27-2016, 02:02 PM
1st Gear

Thanks Dave944. Module is sitting on the counter right now. I'm hoping it still works because I did get it to go into reverse a couple of times. I saw a video on Youtube about getting at the drain "funnel" but it didn't show taking the center counsel apart. Going to be my project next weekend. I like the idea of cutting the end off. Also, since I've worked with windows in the past, I know that a circle is not the best for drains. Should be more of an oval, so I may put a slight angle on the cut. This is my first Audi (first European car) I'm learning a lot! Have already replaced the steering rack and rear wheel bearing. Loving the car so far!

Thanks again.

Old 08-28-2016, 02:12 AM
2nd Gear

No need to take the console apart, most of them have skirts on the lower sides that have a screw or two holding them in. Once you get those removed, the drains are accessible.. Be sure to have a large drinking cup handy to drain the water that may be sitting in the tray waiting to drain when you disconnect them. They aren't "circle" shaped drains. Kind of hard to describe. But once you see the ends, you'll understand. Just snip them off so they don't close. As if you're going to be fording a damned river an need to prevent water ingress from outside... FEH.....

Old 08-28-2016, 12:07 PM
1st Gear

Large cup...sounds good. Already have the drains under the battery unclogged, so making progress.

Thanks again!