General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2001 audi tt (180 hp) radiator problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 01:25 AM
Banned
Default 2001 audi tt (180 hp) radiator problems

Hello, So I purchased a 2001 audi tt (180 hp, Quattro, MK 1) about a month ago. A week or so ago the radiator fans stopped working so thinking it would be a simple fix I decided to do it myself so I purchased the relay and fans. Today me and a friend tried to do it ourself thinking we could maneuver the fans out through the top, long story short, there is no way thats possible. In an effort I removed the top radiator hose thinking it would give me that little bit of room to get it out. So after realizing that it wasn't going to come out that way, we put it back together. After it was all together I started the car and checked to see if it was just a relay as I put the new one in the car. When the car had warmed up and the coolant system had pressurized due to heat, there was a massive release of coolant out of a radiator hose right behind the radiator (its near the oil filter on the passenger side. It seems to be released by a valve looking thing (please see picture) (It only releases the pressure once it has built up at an idle and when revving the engine it is constant release). Whats my problem? Did I just add too much coolant or did I put air into the system? also inside my car it sounds like a suction sound coming from the passenger foot area? Could this be related? What is most likely the problem? Any feed back about this will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Old 07-23-2015, 01:28 AM
Banned

If you can't see the picture its on flickr.com my name is either Nyle Frongner or nfrongner1995 (I'm not sure which one it is). I posted the picture today, July 22.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:50 PM
Banned

So I think it was just air in the system. But there is still a hissing noise coming from the passenger side of the car? any thoughts what this could be?

Old 07-24-2015, 10:19 AM
2nd Gear

The hissing noise could be a loose vacuum hose for one of the the climate control system solenoids. They get their vacuum from an electric vacuum motor so it will not show as a vacuum leak on the engine (no OBD code or Check Engine light). Turn the climate control complete off and see if the hissing goes away.

Old 07-25-2015, 11:57 AM
Banned

So I don't think its the climate control system, I took out all of the fuses for the system (I believe there are 3 that are for the climate control). Could it be something like a boost leak? The sound doesn't grow more loud or get quieter no matter what I do, It is just always there? Any other possibilities?

Old 07-29-2015, 11:15 PM
Banned

So just if anyone else has a similar issue, I put back in the old radiator fan relay (the one i bought must have been faulty) and all of my issues had stopped. Weird right? But if anyone has symptoms of intermittently working radiator fans, battery losing all charge overnight, and a vacuum noise coming from passenger foot bay. Check there, you may have a bad fan relay.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:11 AM
2nd Gear

I recently bought a new DME relay for my 87 944 that turned out to be bad. I started having issues with it not firing and dying on the road. I'd made me a manual jumper to force it to run. However, when I put the new relay in after a few weeks it started doing the same thing. So I'm thinking it's the ignition switch. So I replace it. Same thing.... I had recently acquired another 944 and stole the DME relay from it. Fired up and ran like a champ. I took apart the "new" relay and found it to be of "lesser" quality inside if you know what I mean. One the little electromagnets for the DME part of the relay was barely seated into the circuit board. I junked it and repaired the original "Porsche" relay be resoldering all the connections. The "new" relay cost about $20. Next time I'll go ahead and pay the $40 for the European made relay.