General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Audi A3 Wont start

Old 10-04-2006, 04:39 PM
Default Audi A3 Wont start

The a3 wont start it turns and holds for a second then cuts out, also the auto check display isn't working either, have checked the fuses and been told it could be the main relay ( Where is that ?)
If anyone can shine any light on this please?

Thanks
Stevo

Old 10-04-2006, 05:08 PM
Default RE: Audi A3 Wont start

Steve I would like to follow your thread. I can't offer any help, but I have a similiar situation. I bought a used Audi A6 S-line here in the U.K.
I have had it about 10 days. Just today it started with its "no start" issue. Car turns over, seems to be getting gas, but cuts off. I managed to get it started, but problem remains intermittent. Up until now car ran great. Finally late this afternoon I failed to get it started again.
I am not much on Audi's but maybe O2 sensor? Anyone have suggestions? There is no faults, no indication something is wrong. I can even push on the accelerator, start it, watch RPMS rev up, and it quickly dies off. When it does start, it doesn't seem to have any issues, runs pretty smooth.

Old 10-05-2006, 09:12 AM
1st Gear

Hi Guys

Silly question but when it does die does it go back to the ignition lights screen? I mean the same lights on the dashboard as if you stalled it?

What i'm trying to ascertain is if it died due to an ECU problem. Does it die cleanly? as if someone had switched theigntion off? or does it stutter and stammer then die?

Hope i can help!

Latz

Old 10-05-2006, 09:30 AM

Lights come on as if the car stalled out (i.e. battery light etc).

Again this morning it started first time and drove to work. After arriving at work...same problem. I don't have a way to download fault if there is faults. Everything displays normal and even the "OK" light come on in the center of the driver's display.

I thought maybe immobilizer, fuel pressure regulator, or Core Temp Sensor (CTS).

Old 10-05-2006, 09:33 AM
1st Gear

..and it dies clean? like just dropped from its revs? no stuttering or fluctuation/hunting in the revs?

have you checked the Air Idle Control Valve? In fact, has the thing even got one?? I'll need to check on that for you.

Latz

Old 10-05-2006, 10:04 AM

check the wiring from the battery it sounds like you have a bad connection to ground, another thing to check is the volts from the alternator to the battery ( over voltage causes this problem ) it should not go over 14.7 ish but over 15 volts the brushes are worn in the alternator voltage regulator thing

Old 10-05-2006, 02:46 PM
4th Gear

Have someone VAG it, there may be hidden codes.

Old 10-06-2006, 03:48 AM

No I haven't checked the Air Idle control valve.

Yesterday while cranking it would go to 1K down, catch a moment at around 800, then die. I also heard a slight ticking sound that sounded similiar to a bad lifter. The car only started once yesterday, in the morning. I managed to get it from the convience store to my workplace.

battery looks good; took me awhile to find it..under the backseat. Along with the ECU and alarm system. I read something yesterday on the immobilizer may fault and you wind up with similiar issues.

still at a loss......