General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Audi A4 Headlight replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 03:21 PM
Question Audi A4 Headlight replacement

Hi. I'm sure this has been posted here with this question, but I am trying to figure out how on earth to change the headlight bulbs in a 2004 A4. I took it to the local auto parts store and they wouldn't even touch ti Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Old 04-28-2009, 06:00 PM
4th Gear

You'll need a T-30 bit. There are either 3 or 4 screws to remove.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:22 PM

You'll need to remove and replace the whole headlight unit. You need to use the T-30 size Torx wrench. There are 4 screws that hold in the headlight, remove the two that are on the top area of the headlight and just loosen the two that are on the lower section, as they can by easily lost/dropped in the engine compartment. Remove the wiring harnesses and carefully pull out the headlight. (make sure to disconnect the battery before removing the headlight) Then just reverse the process with the new headlights!

Old 04-29-2009, 06:37 PM
2nd Gear

If you have the V6 engine you will need to remove the air scoop to gain access to some of the screws.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by PacCoast
You'll need to remove and replace the whole headlight unit. You need to use the T-30 size Torx wrench. There are 4 screws that hold in the headlight, remove the two that are on the top area of the headlight and just loosen the two that are on the lower section, as they can by easily lost/dropped in the engine compartment. Remove the wiring harnesses and carefully pull out the headlight. (make sure to disconnect the battery before removing the headlight) Then just reverse the process with the new headlights!
you DONT need to to replace the entire housing for a burnt out bulb

and

you DONT have to disconnect the battery

the rest is true.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Darkprodo
you DONT need to to replace the entire housing for a burnt out bulb

and

you DONT have to disconnect the battery

the rest is true.
Disconnecting the battery is just a precaution, nothing wrong with that. And yes, it is true that you do not need to replace the entire housing when changing out a burnt bulb...BUT you still need to remove the housing to change out that bulb.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:13 AM
Question need help

i was able to replace the passenger side by removing the air filter assembly, but the driver's side was a real pain, not much room to work. i got it replaced, but im thinking removing the driver's side headlight might of been way easier. Does anyone have pictures or better details of where the lower screws are?

Old 05-07-2009, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by its_sak
i was able to replace the passenger side by removing the air filter assembly, but the driver's side was a real pain, not much room to work. i got it replaced, but im thinking removing the driver's side headlight might of been way easier. Does anyone have pictures or better details of where the lower screws are?
Try this link : http://www.lustload.com/?p=147 is has detailed instructions and pictures.