General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Audi A6 4F 2005 Auto. parking brake problem

Old 05-12-2014, 12:55 PM
1st Gear
Unhappy Audi A6 4F 2005 Auto. parking brake problem

Hello guys,

I've bought an Audi A6 4F 2005 Automatic gear - Multitronic.

The problem is I've been getting parking brake (the yellow P sign) light showing up for a while. However, I didn't notice any problem with the car brakes/side brake. Yesterday, I've decided to put the parking brake ON and go home. When I came at the morning to switch the car ON, I've noticed that the (i) red sign showed up with a peep sound. Also, tried to turn the Parking brake off, but there was no luck. I can here the parking brake sound goes OFF and when I press brake pedal I can "feel" it goes off. However, the car does not move in any direction and the both signs are on (Yellow P sign and res (i) sign).

I don't know what the problem could possibly be, if you guys have an idea about it please let me know.

Also, my main question is what kind of parking brake does this model use? is it electric or not?
As far as I know it is electric, but when I called a repair shop they told me it is not electric and it costs aroud 100 euro, this got me confused a little bit. So, is it electric or not and what is the price range for a used one and the new one?

Best regards,

Old 05-13-2014, 02:25 PM
1st Gear

Well, I don't know how to say that, but the problem wasn't with the car. The problem was in my intelligence. The repair shop released the parking brake by fastening the seat belt!!!!

However, there was also wire contact between the two wires that comes from the caliper, which caused the parking brake malfunction yellow sign to appear.

IMHO, that Audi should have at least added information on the screen regarding this seat belt issue like the warning that says put your gear on (P).