General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

electrical woes/ alt & bat good

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 08:05 PM
1st Gear
Default electrical woes/ alt & bat good

I've got a 96 a4 quattro 2.8 and the charging system is killing me. i just put a rebuilt alternator back in that i had tested at autoblown. they said it was good, tested the battery same deal, passed. car runs fine but if i turn on lights, heat, wipers etc... voltage drops. tested with multimeter gauge is mint, checked wiring from bat to alt, mint. i can't figure it out PLEASE HELP!!!

Old 01-10-2007, 09:16 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: electrical woes/ alt & bat good

Was the alt. test with a load on it? If the person doing it didn't do a load test while testing the alt. it could still be bad. Was any work done on the car recently? It could be a ground issue, bad ground strap or someone forgot to hook back up a ground strapp during a service.

Old 01-10-2007, 09:20 PM
2nd Gear

When you say drops what is it dropping down to?

Old 01-10-2007, 10:29 PM
1st Gear

i dont know if they load tested it. brought it to autozone where the kid put it in the box and it passed. frickin kid was hugging the rig so i couldn't see what the screen said. it shure seems like a crap alternator to me. when you put any real load on the system it gradually stops charging coresponding to how much stuff i got on. for instance 13 parking lights, 12.5 and dropping with the headlights. i just cleaned the battery ground and the body to engine ground today.

Old 01-10-2007, 10:48 PM
3rd Gear

Sounds like you have a bad "exciter diode" or a bad voltage regulator. Both should be on the alt.

With the car on, what is the voltage at the battery? It should be 14.4v.

Old 01-10-2007, 11:12 PM
1st Gear

voltage is at 14.4 after alittle reving and stays there as long as i don't turn anything on(if just the stereo is on its ok). i haven't heard of an exciter diode, whats it do? this is the second rebuilt alt, the first rebuilt one the voltage reg went after bout 6 months(volts would race with the engine to 16 or so)i put a new one on and the alt wouldn't charge at all. so i got a rebuilt one from autozone "gauranteed for life"... to be a piece of $#!t. so as soon as i put it in i have had the curent problems. so today i pulled it out went back down there and it passed the bench test. so what is an exciter diode?

Old 01-10-2007, 11:45 PM
2nd Gear

It helps control power output duringa load, such as when the headlights are on. I'm not sure if a bench test can test an alt. under load.

Old 01-10-2007, 11:47 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: direwolf57

voltage is at 14.4 after alittle reving and stays there as long as i don't turn anything on(if just the stereo is on its ok). i haven't heard of an exciter diode, whats it do? this is the second rebuilt alt, the first rebuilt one the voltage reg went after bout 6 months(volts would race with the engine to 16 or so) i put a new one on and the alt wouldn't charge at all. so i got a rebuilt one from autozone "gauranteed for life"... to be a piece of $#!t. so as soon as i put it in i have had the curent problems. so today i pulled it out went back down there and it passed the bench test. so what is an exciter diode?
It helps the voltage regulator.

I would get you money back, and pick up an AUDI alt. Yes it will cost more, but I'm sure it will work.

I WOULD NEVER buy any electrical stuff from Autozone.

Old 01-11-2007, 01:56 AM
2nd Gear

Agreed.

Old 01-11-2007, 03:38 PM
1st Gear

alternator is back in and im bringing it down to autozone to have the charging system tested.

Quick Reply: electrical woes/ alt & bat good