General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

EPC light/ low battery light on

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 12:10 AM
1st Gear
Default EPC light/ low battery light on

Hey there guys. I just recently purchased my first audi and the other day i noticed that when i turned the car on it kinda stalled for a bit but it drove fine. Car was parked for a few hrs, went to turn it on, same thing again... when i finally got home, i shut off the car and i went to turn on again and it wouldnt start. but all of the dash lights came
on and everything ... i kept trying and it started, but the EPC light and low battery light came on. Keep in mind i didnt drive the car for a couple of days and its really cold here. So i havent driven the car cuz im afraid it will die on me, even though on the dashboard it said "low battery, the battery wil charge it self while driving" but i have no idea whats going on. I went to turn it on again today, it stalled, but it turned on,no lights were on. Can someone please help me??? 😬

Its a 2013 audi a4 2.0 w 33K miles

Old 01-30-2017, 06:18 PM
2nd Gear

Take the battery and have it tested. I bet it's either betting old or has a cell going down and cannot supply enough power to make things run like it should. The electrical systems on these cars are high demand and a weak battery will cause all kinds of weird issues. The EPC light will probably go away if the battery is determined to be going bad and is replaced.

Old 01-30-2017, 06:31 PM
2nd Gear

Also, hook a voltmeter to the battery and crank it. While car is running, you should see at least 12.5 to 14 volts. If you see anything less, it's a possible voltage regulator issue. This is installed into the back of the alternator. However, I just looked up your car's alternator and unfortunately, the voltage regulator is not replaceable as it is on most other units. However, with just 33K miles on it, I'd bet that the alternator is good. I'd start with the battery first. It may show 12 volts when sitting unused but a under a load, it may not be putting out enough. The alternator alone cannot run all the car's electrics. The most noticeable symptom is the stalling or simply will not start. Cold weather will also zap a weak battery quick.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:38 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by dave944
also, hook a voltmeter to the battery and crank it. While car is running, you should see at least 12.5 to 14 volts. If you see anything less, it's a possible voltage regulator issue. This is installed into the back of the alternator. However, i just looked up your car's alternator and unfortunately, the voltage regulator is not replaceable as it is on most other units. However, with just 33k miles on it, i'd bet that the alternator is good. I'd start with the battery first. It may show 12 volts when sitting unused but a under a load, it may not be putting out enough. The alternator alone cannot run all the car's electrics. The most noticeable symptom is the stalling or simply will not start. Cold weather will also zap a weak battery quick.

thank you for the replies. I was fortunate enough to be able to drive it to the mechanic. We will see what they say.