General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Fuel line leak and replacement question

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 08:53 PM
Default Fuel line leak and replacement question

Hello all. I'm new here and am in the process of purchasing a 2002 A4 1.8t and the PPI revealed an actively leaking fuel line. There is a slight crack near the fuel filter in the right rear quarter of the car. As a condition of the sale, the seller is to replace the line. Up on a lift they are running into trouble because they are supposed to counterweight the rearend before dropping the drivetrain and gas tank in order to avoid having the car slide off the front of the lift.

Have any of you replaced your fuel line before? How did you address the routing above the gas tank? How did you counterweight the rearend?

Thanks.

P.S., Since there's always one guy who feels he has to say "do a search," I already have and have not yet found my answer, but I'll keep searching while you guys chime in.

Old 01-01-2008, 12:20 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Fuel line leak and replacement question

If the car is properly racked there is no issue whether you add counter weights or not. However safety should always come first, so theres really two ways to do it. You can add weight to the trunk before lifting the vehicle and then make sure it is stable when the vehicle is first lifted. Or the easier way is to support the front end of the vehicle with a tall jack stand or a transmission jack to support the weight of the vehicle if it does shift foreward during rearend or tank removal.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:25 PM
Default RE: Fuel line leak and replacement question

Thank you Dankhound.