General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help -- '02 Audi A4 is making whining noise now that the weather is cold

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 09:52 PM
1st Gear
Default Help -- '02 Audi A4 is making whining noise now that the weather is cold

I'd appreciate any advice about what is causing a "whining" noise in my '02 Audi A4 now that the weather is getting colder (around 40 degrees F). The car has approximately 55,000 miles, is a 3.0L and Quattro. The car was recently in for its 50,000 miles maintenance (I was not having this problem when it was in).

When I first start up the car, there is a low whining noise which gets much worse / louder when I make a turn -- almost sounds like the steering system is moaning! The sound gets better as the car warms up -- also, when the weather is warmer, the sounds almost seems to go away.

Can anyone help with advice on what is causing this? thank you!

Old 11-18-2007, 11:30 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Help -- '02 Audi A4 is making whining noise now that the weather is cold

You need to top off your power steering fluid, its mineral based so it evaporates over time.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:16 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Help -- '02 Audi A4 is making whining noise now that the weather is cold

Thank im going to try it i will repost if it work by the way can i pick that up at a local place like pep boys or do i have to get it from the audi dealer

Old 02-19-2008, 02:26 PM
1st Gear

most of my cars(including a 93 chrysler and a 2000 ford pickup as well as a 87 5kt) have a nice whining noise from the PS pump when it gets colder, it happens sometimes when the fluid gets thicker and/or low. Just make sure your fluid is topped off and you should be fine. You may be able to pick it up from a pep boys or something to that effect, i know my local autozone doesn't carry it however

Old 03-03-2011, 02:38 PM
1st Gear

The A4 3.0 is notorious for this problem, but usually it is very easy and cheap to fix. As the temperature drops, the PS fluid thickens and it gets harder for the pump to move the fluid around. If there are any leaks in this sealed system, air will get sucked in and become mixed with the fluid. This cavitation of air is what is causing the "whale noise". Oftentimes, the fluid in the reservoir will be frothy and yet there will be no signs of a fluid leak. The culprit is usually the factory crimp-style hose clamp on the 5/8" hose on top of the PS pump. Over time it has loosened and is now allowing air in when cold. To fix this, pull straight up on the black plastic covering on the front of the motor that reads 3.0 V6. This exposes the PS pump and pulley. There is only a single 5/8" hose visible and this is where that clamp lies. Cut it off and put a new regular 1" clamp on in its place and crank it down. Check the fluid level - A4's need to be filled to the M in Max on the stick. Start the car with the cap off the reservoir and cycle the wheel several times to help bleed out the air. At this point the noise should be 100% gone. Replace the cover (its a little tricky to get all 4 prongs back into their clips). This takes about 8 minutes if you're slow and costs about $1.50 for the clamp!! As an aside, since you had to buy a whole 1.06L of fluid, it might also be wise to change as much of the fluid as you can. The easiest way, though not 100% thorough is to use a turkey baster and just suck out as much of the old stuff as you can. If you repeat this a few times till your liter is gone, you can be assured that you've at least replaced about half of your fluid. This beats the 1000 wanted by the dealer to replace the PS pump. Good luck!