General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Ignition noise after replacing PCV Valve

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 08:21 PM
1st Gear
Default Ignition noise after replacing PCV Valve

hello --

i went ahead and replaced the valve on my 2006 A3, which was pretty straight forward with a basic set of tools. the symptoms indicated the defect and once i took it out was able to confirm it as well. the engine runs now much better and boost is almost back to what it once was. so far so good.

however, after replacing it i noticed a unusual and new noise when starting the car. it sounds a bit like the noises one knows coming from timing belts on cold days, rather short and only at the onset of the car cranking up. it also strangely seems to originate in the area of PCV Valve. I took the cover down and checked i didn't forget anything and that all the hoses were securely attached. even briefly started the car to see if it was something loose or so, but that same sound was there.

i am quite startled how the PCV valve replacement could cause this new symptom. any ideas what this could be?

i am considering to put the old valve back in to see if the sound goes away:

- could the new valve be defective?
- would the gasket need to be replaced if i do that?
- could the now working PCV valve reveal another issue that was masked before?

unfortunately i don't have access to a vag-com, but my resident mechanic told me that there were no error codes.

thanks in advance for you help.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:34 PM
2nd Gear

That would be my course of action. I replaced the PCV valve on my A8 last fall and about 3 or 4 months later, I could hear a short burst of a fluttering noise when moving from closed throttle to open. Like someone making fart noises with their mouth.. LOL Fortunately the parts place I ordered it from had accidentally shipped 2 and I had decided to keep it for a back up. I put the backup unit on and fixed the problem. I took the other one apart and cleaned it. I could not find a rip in the diaphragm so I think maybe a hunk of carbon may have gotten hung where it seals in the center. Anyway, could be a bad unit. But check and make sure you haven't knocked something else loose in the area or cracked one of the plastic vacuum lines. They do get brittle after a while and break easily when disturbed. Ask me how I know.. LOL