General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Please help!! Audi shaking

Old 03-01-2017, 07:33 AM
1st Gear
Default Please help!! Audi shaking

We recently bought an Audi A6 Quattro 3.0. When we got it everything was fine, ran great. We took it to jiffy lube to get a signature service done, still, ran great. We had them run the diagnostic on it before we left and they told us we need a tune up, so we came back two days later (yesterday) to get one. When we left it ran great, on the long drive home (highway and in town) it ran great. My husband went tot start it this morning and it turned on fine but he said we he got to the exit to get on the highway it started to shake and the check engine light came on. We have no idea what's going on this is our first Audi, please help!

Old 03-01-2017, 12:15 PM
2nd Gear

You need to get the OBD error codes from the ECU using and OBD Code Reader. It will tell you what is wrong. List the error codes here.

Old 03-13-2017, 08:11 PM
1st Gear

So what has been found out?

Old 03-14-2017, 05:31 AM
1st Gear

sorry to hear that, i hope i could help you but i have no good idea, maybe you can ask the repair shop for help. good luck to you.

Old 03-14-2017, 04:25 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Redneck Slim
So what has been found out?
so we ended up getting a hold of the mechanic who did the work and he basically already expected it he said the rubber caps (bare with me im not good with exact wording) over the spark plugs or something like that when he did the tune up, were just loose and that it was causing misfire and it to run on only 1-2 cylinders. So we brought it back to him and he pushed down on them and it helped a lot but didn't totally fix the issue so after we test drove and came to that conclusion we brought it back to him and told him it still wasn't preforming as it should he ran another diagnostic which he then said it's then ignition coil packs. The person we had bought it from had already replaced two recently so we bought the other four and he replaced them. All problems seemed to be fixed it ran great etc. the CEL stayed on here and there but was good. A few days ago we hit a pothole we could not swerve away from and it blew our tire and we have a spare on now and will be getting a new tire on Thursday but the light is kind of flashing here and there again mainly when we begin to accelerate quickly. We don't really know what else to think of now other than the tire could be causing something since it's just a spare (not a donut tho) but that seems far fetched. We don't trust the guy anymore but our local audi location is going to charge us 150 bucks just to look/test drive it..

Old 03-14-2017, 04:27 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by dave944
You need to get the OBD error codes from the ECU using and OBD Code Reader. It will tell you what is wrong. List the error codes here.
doing that this Thursday, more information in the other comment if you'd care to read and share some insight (sorry if It's a pain to find or read what I submit haven't learned exactly how to use this forum yet)

Old 03-14-2017, 08:24 PM
1st Gear

When a mechanic says that your late-model car needs a "tune-up",run. Today's cars don't need them. The closest thing that might qualify is a spark plug replacement,and what does your owners manual say about that-every 60,000 miles?

It is hard to think of a place less qualified to work on today's Audis than a Jiffy Lube. Maybe the mechanic portrayed by Billy Bob Thornton in the movie "U-Turn". Let us know what the Audi dealer finds.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:11 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Redneck Slim
When a mechanic says that your late-model car needs a "tune-up",run. Today's cars don't need them. The closest thing that might qualify is a spark plug replacement,and what does your owners manual say about that-every 60,000 miles?

It is hard to think of a place less qualified to work on today's Audis than a Jiffy Lube. Maybe the mechanic portrayed by Billy Bob Thornton in the movie "U-Turn". Let us know what the Audi dealer finds.
ok well I don't exactly know where the mix up is but he said the tune up entailed changing the spark plugs. As was what happened when we brought our 93 jeep in years prior to this incident, he said tune up and changed all the spark plugs and wires (which saved our jeep, it ran better than when we had gotten it) so yes, that is what I said, he changed the spark plugs and something with that involving rubber caps was our issue I believe, those are the caps he pushed down and it got better but not completely solved.

And to add, it wasn't necessarily all jiffy. We got the signature service there but everything else was from a mechanic who works there but is apparently good with audis. He owns them, works on them, any time one is brought in he does the work. he did the spark plug work and the ignition coil pack work (4/6 of them) so not really jiffy lube, we paid for parts he did labor and didn't charge more for it. and I don't know if you didn't see or it doesn't matter but it's not the newest of audis it's an 02, I only add this because you said today's cars but also late model so that's contradicting

Old 03-15-2017, 11:07 AM
2nd Gear

The way you describe it, it does sound like there were some simple ignition wire and coil pack issues. If you have misfire like that and continue to drive it, it can cause the spark plugs to develop deposits on them that will reduce their ability to produce a decent spark when a coil pack or pushing the "rubber caps" back down on to them. Anyway, it sounds like you have a fellow working on it that knows what he's doing do you should be ok.

Old 03-15-2017, 11:22 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by dave944
The way you describe it, it does sound like there were some simple ignition wire and coil pack issues. If you have misfire like that and continue to drive it, it can cause the spark plugs to develop deposits on them that will reduce their ability to produce a decent spark when a coil pack or pushing the "rubber caps" back down on to them. Anyway, it sounds like you have a fellow working on it that knows what he's doing do you should be ok.
so it seems like it's just the same problem and it should be ok if we just contacted him? he's not a bad guy he's seemed to really help us out and it doesn't seem like he was doing it for money as he did some free labor simply because I think he saw how frustrated we were getting trying to find the problem. We just really want the CEL to go off.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Please help!! Audi shaking