General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

please please please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 04:49 PM
1st Gear
Default please please please help

hi all can anyone please help, i got an audi a4 2005 new shape 8 months ago and have done nothing but work to it. all services every 8k pads discs timing belt water pump drive belt etc.
3 weeks ago i have put a new aircon compressor and receiver dryer and drive belt and pully. from doing this i noticed my temp gage was going for 70 to 90 never staying at 90. i checked the coolent and it was low so i topped up and all seemed fine. today smoke started flying out of excaust and coolant was near empty. i topped up again and all was fine until 20 mins later the same thing has happened. it seams to be when engine heats up the smoke comes and coolant drops. also the heating has stopped blowing hot air. it is killing me ding all this work. anyone any ideas. could it be head gasket or cracked clyinder or rad leak or tubro.

Old 07-31-2014, 05:14 PM
1st Gear

Hate to say it but if you have coolant coming from the exhaust its a major problem, either head gaskets or a cracked head. Hate to say it. Did you do the thermostat when the water pump was done? Spunds like you had a cooling issue. It should be fairly steady temp wise and never go up and down like that.

Old 07-31-2014, 05:22 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by devondaly
Hate to say it but if you have coolant coming from the exhaust its a major problem, either head gaskets or a cracked head. Hate to say it. Did you do the thermostat when the water pump was done? Spunds like you had a cooling issue. It should be fairly steady temp wise and never go up and down like that.
never changed the thermostat or heat sensor. the temp never going over 90 tho. which is worse head gasket or cracked head, i have a budget of £750. i have put to much money into this car and it cost 4900 8months ago. so i cant just walk away. and then on the other hand if i fix this what next . is it just an unlucky car

Old 07-31-2014, 05:27 PM
1st Gear

also should warning lights not come on. my vag scanner isnt showing errors

Old 08-01-2014, 04:39 AM
1st Gear
Default help

Would it be cheaper to just go for a remanufacture engine

Old 08-01-2014, 10:08 AM

Agree with the poster above, you have a major problem if coolant is coming out of the exhaust, head gasket is most likely the issue, you are going to be way over budget and if you continue to drive the car in this condition you could cause a lot more damage / you're oil is probably fried too if you over heated like that, engine could sieze up. if you replace the head gasket if you are LUCKY it isn't a cracked head, change the thermostat as well and change you oil (obviously)

Old 08-01-2014, 12:10 PM
1st Gear

The thing I'm confused about is the oil is fine and the car hasn't overheated. It goes between 70 and 90 degrees

Old 08-01-2014, 05:38 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ant34uk
The thing I'm confused about is the oil is fine and the car hasn't overheated. It goes between 70 and 90 degrees
West case what price would I be looking at and should I fix or scrap

Old 08-02-2014, 03:55 AM
1st Gear

Worst case I mean

T