General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

A8 Will Not Start

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 07:56 AM
1st Gear
Default A8 Will Not Start

Hey fellow Audiphiles, this is my first post on AF and I've been reading threads for a couple of weeks now and need some advice. The site is invaluable if you own an Audi. I have a 1997 A8 Quattro, 4.2L, 123k mi., automatic that I've had for about 3 weeks now. During my second week of ownership, she shut down on me on my way to work. It started to sputter as if it were running out of gas and stalled, coming to a rolling stop off the highway. It would crank, but would notstart and run. I had it towed to my girlfriend's body shop and used OBDII scanner to read the codes. I have since cleared them and ignorantly, did not write them down beforehand.They showed multiple cylinder misfires with the first 2 codes being mass air meter problems. I went to the stealership and got a new meter and CTS (after reading threads) and installed them, still won't start. I removed fitting at end of fuel rail and saw no fuel under cranking. Could not hear any buzzing from fuel pump at ignition turn or relay clicking in footwell fuse box. She would start for a few seconds when spraying starting fluid in intake so I know she's getting spark. Did not show any more codes and CEL turns off while key is turned to start. I had the "airbag" light come on after a few days of buying it and have also had the coolant symbol come up for a second on the display a few days before this happened. (CTS replaced) Could not find any loose plugs under seat. I know that I need to check fuel pump voltage and relay and know what the readings should be from stealership info, but am wondering if there is something that I am missing. I get list cost at stealership and they still want $586 for a fuel pump. I have found a few alternatives but need to know it's the pump for sure. I know someone will tell me to check the pump and relay first, but I couldn't resist posting to see if anyone has any good additionaladvice. I'd seen a lot of it here on the site and would appreciate any suggestions. I figured the crank sensor was O.K. since it started with starting fluid. Fuel tank is 3/4 full. Thanks.....anyone!

1997 A8, 4.2L, 123k, 2004 19" AVUS wheels, S-type exhaust, chrome mirrors, deck spoiler, black
2001 Aprilia RSV1000, de-restricted, Brembo, Leo Vince, Ohlins susp.,

Old 04-22-2008, 10:23 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: A8 Will Not Start

One more thing... service light "1 in 2" has also come on. Can this disable fuel flow?

Old 04-23-2008, 03:23 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: A8 Will Not Start

Update....relay was good, good power to pump....pump motor not turning. Ordered new OEM replacement pump, just hope it installs into the float/sender assembly without any problems. While looking for the relay, I found mineral oil in the driver's floor board. No doubt power steering fluid leak somewhere. Hope it's just a fitting or hose and not the rack. Cut off one head and another pops up. I still love the car. I did have a heck of a time finding the pump motor....has anyone ever installed an inline fuel pump on the frame rail and just used the power supply from the factory connector? I know it may be needed with a turbo or supercharger, just wondering if it's an easier installation/ service alternative as long as the flow rate and pressure are the same.