General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Please Help - I'm almost there - Head Gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 05:03 AM
Default Please Help - I'm almost there - Head Gasket?

Hello,

I am currently working on my 1999 A4 2.8 V6 DOHC 30valve. I am replacing almost all the gaskets located in the engine compartment. I just need some help figuring out how to remove the heads to get to the head gasket, ultimately to complete my project.

This is what I have done so far:

-Front bumper removed
-Timing belt stuff removed (replacing as well)
-Air box removed
-Coolant expansion tank moved to side
-Intake manifold with throttle removed (gaskets replaced on intake manifold)

Now here is where I'm stuck-
*How do I remove the driver's side head? I am not sure how to remove the front coolant pipe that's secured to the front of the engine block. I see there are two bolts to be removed (top left and bottom middle) that secure the coolant pipe to the head, but how do you remove the bottom middle bolt. It's in an akward spot? I do see how to remove the rear coolant pipes from the head. The bolts are kinda in an awkard spot as well but doable. I also do have the speical tool for the head bolts and I have replacement head bolts. Any suggestion on how to continue from here would be greatly appreciated. I really just want to patch my car up and get her running again. Please, your help is greatly apprecited.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:32 AM
Default RE: Please Help - I'm almost there - Head Gasket?

So, I guess nevermind. I got the heads off and the gaskets replaced. They definitely needed replacing. Got everything nicely cleaned along the way

P.S. The job was CAKE after getting a few tight bolts off

Old 04-22-2008, 10:04 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: milo55041

So, I guess nevermind. I got the heads off and the gaskets replaced. They definitely needed replacing. Got everything nicely cleaned along the way

P.S. The job was CAKE after getting a few tight bolts off
Good on you man!
Did you happen to take pictures while you were at it?

Old 04-23-2008, 12:47 PM

Are you kidding me? I was selling those pics left and right on ebay! Depending what view you’re looking for, I'll sell it to you anywhere between $50-80.....hahaha...just messin.

Yeah, I have pics. I was going to post a procedure on how to rip apart a 2.8L V6 30valve engine to replace your head gaskets and everything and anything along the way since it's a PITA of a job to get to the heads but doable. I personally have no mechanical experience, and I was able to make it to the end . I'm definitely proud of myself. But all in all, if I was able to make it, I am sure anyone else who has the slightest experience on working on cars should be able to make it just fine. I did all my work with the help of a Bentley and a Chilton repair manual.