General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Serving an Audi A4, and engine light on?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 07:03 AM
1st Gear
Default Serving an Audi A4, and engine light on?

I have a 2006 Audi A4 which just went out of warranty (over 50,000 miles). In the past, I have been bringing my car to the dealership because they covered everything. However, they never, ever seemed to get it right the first time. Usually took many trips before they actually diagnosed the correct problem and then fixed it. So, I don't trust them to fix anything right..and since I am now paying for it, I would prefer a different service shop. Does anyone know if I am ok to bring it to a auto repair shop that works on Audi? Will they have the same information on the cars that the dealerships do? I live in Waukesha WI, in case anyone has some experience with a good service repair shop in the area. Also, a couple of days ago my engine light went on. It was when I was accelerating on and on-ramp. It wasn't flashing. I drove it for one day, and the last time I started it, the light was off. I had not filled up the gas tank at any point when this happened. Not sure if it needs to be looked at right away, or if this type of thing has fixed itself with the engine's computer system. Thanks for your help! It's hard being a woman when it comes to getting a car repaired.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:27 AM
2nd Gear

You can go by places like Advance Auto, AutoZone, and PepBoys, and they can pull the OBD error codes that have caused the Check Engine Light to come on. Report them here and we can help point you in the right direction or, at least, give you some information to tell the repair shop. Hopefully someone here will know a reputable German Car shop other than the dealer to take your car to.