General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

top dead center on flywheel. 2.7t engine need help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 08:49 AM
1st Gear
Default top dead center on flywheel. 2.7t engine need help!!!!!

I need to know where the flywheels trigger wheel window is set at when the engine is @ top dead center.

I recently bought a light weight flywheel,
installed it and my s4 wouldn't start.seemed like the timining was off.
so I had to remove my transmission again, removed the flywheel, then I rotated the trigger wheel clockwise.
Reinstalled the trans, now the car starts but misfires.
It's running on all 6 but it's not firing in the correct order. So now at least the car starts. So I'm heading in the right direction.

The big window on the trigger wheel at 11 o'clock. I need to know where that is when the engine is @ TOP DEAD CENTER.

http://s163.photobucket.com/user/odoboy/media/audi/audi_repair_101.jpg.html

Please help.

Old 09-03-2015, 04:14 PM
1st Gear

Hi I'm having the exact same problem as you. Did you find a solution?

Old 09-03-2015, 08:30 PM
2nd Gear

What year model is your S4? Post the model, engine, and transmission codes from the data sticker located in the trunk under the carpet. Heck. Take a picture of it and post it if you have to.

Old 09-04-2015, 08:04 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bboianov
Hi I'm having the exact same problem as you. Did you find a solution?

Yah I did figure out the problem.

Fidanza which is the company I got my light weight flywheel from. They assembled the trigger wheel in the wrong place. So I had to rotate the TW to the correct place.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:49 PM
1st Gear

Ok so I have a slightly different situation. I have a 2001 Allroad 2.7T with bent valves so I swapped it for a S4 donor motor from the same year. However, the S4 motor was an automatic transmission. I'm not able to start the car. With the crankshaft position sensor unplugged the car starts well but doesn't catch. With it plugged in it starts in fits like it's misreading the timing of the flywheel. Is it possible to have installed the flywheel in the incorrect position? Could it just be solved with a different crankshaft position sensor? At the moment I'm not sure if the sensor I had was from the automatic tranny or my original one. What do I need to know to solve this?

Old 09-08-2015, 08:48 AM
1st Gear

Ok so I have a slightly different situation. I have a 2001 Allroad 2.7T with bent valves so I swapped it for a S4 donor motor from the same year. However, the S4 motor was an automatic transmission. I'm not able to start the car. With the crankshaft position sensor unplugged the car starts well but doesn't catch. With it plugged in it starts in fits like it's misreading the timing of the flywheel. Is it possible to have installed the flywheel in the incorrect position? Could it just be solved with a different crankshaft position sensor? At the moment I'm not sure if the sensor I had was from the automatic tranny or my original one. What do I need to know to solve this?

The flywheel only fits in one way. One of the flywheel bolts is a hair off.thus only bolts on one way.sensor I believe is the same auto and manual.

Have you checked out your icm(connections on the intake box)?
Could be connected backwards.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:50 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by lilsilva
The flywheel only fits in one way. One of the flywheel bolts is a hair off.thus only bolts on one way.sensor I believe is the same auto and manual.

Have you checked out your icm(connections on the intake box)?
Could be connected backwards.
Are you sure the sensor is the same? I just checked on O'Reilley's and they're different part numbers and sold as automatic or manual specific. Does that mean they're actually different and can't be switched around?

I'm having a shop finish the work. They specialized in Audis so I'm guessing they won't have messed up the ICM connectors. They're telling me the flywheel might be wrong for the engine. But that's not possible, right?

Old 09-09-2015, 08:39 AM
1st Gear

Are you sure the sensor is the same? I just checked on O'Reilley's and they're different part numbers and sold as automatic or manual specific. Does that mean they're actually different and can't be switched around?

I'm having a shop finish the work. They specialized in Audis so I'm guessing they won't have messed up the ICM connectors. They're telling me the flywheel might be wrong for the engine. But that's not possible, right?
When I bought my engine. I bought it from a automatic allroad. My S is a manual. The difference between auto and manual is egr and automatic has a spacer behind the flywheel.I was still able to use both manual and automatic sensors.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:41 AM
1st Gear

When I bought my engine. I bought it from a automatic allroad. My S is a manual. The difference between auto and manual is egr and automatic has a spacer behind the flywheel.I was still able to use both manual and automatic sensors.

It's easy enough to check the icm. Just swap the plugs around. You have to do process of elimination. And the cheapest way.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:57 AM
1st Gear

In that case do you have any suggestions for what my no start issue could be? Currently my tech emailed me (I'm out of the country) that "The issue in question is where the window is on the flywheel pulse ring. We suspect the flywheel you supplied us is not correct for your present setup and the TDC window is not in the right place."

The motor came from an '01 S4 (I'm 99% positive of this) automatic transmission and was mounted to an '01 Allroad with manual transmission.

Quick Reply: top dead center on flywheel. 2.7t engine need help!!!!!