General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

transmission issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 11:30 PM
1st Gear
Default transmission issue

spikkeman question ? I have a 2002 Audi A6 C5 Allroad I broke the right front CV joint I replaced it with a new one, after completed I went to test drive the car , well now it seems like the transmission went into safe mode the shift indicator on the dash is all lit up, know mater what gear I put it in it wont change gears .when I drive it , it don't shift , it seems like its stuck in high gear. I unhooked the battery for awhile then reconnected it , that didn't change anything . I don't know what to do any suggestions ??? thanks

Old 03-08-2017, 09:33 AM
2nd Gear

Did the CV joint actually break in two and cause a hard jolt? It's possibly something has been damaged internally if so. Try disconnecting the battery again (BOTH Terminals) and touch them together to effectively discharge any memory storage in both the Engine and Trans Control Units. I'd leave it disconnected over night. Also be sure to have your SAFE radio code, just in case. When you reconnect the battery and start the car, turn the key on but do NOT immediately engage the starter. Let the ignition sit in the ON position for about 15-20 seconds before actually starting the car. The engine may stumble at first but it should pick up and run fine. Then see if the trans will cooperate.

Old 03-08-2017, 11:27 PM
1st Gear
Default transmission issue

thanks Dave can you tell me how I can find my radio code ?

Old 03-09-2017, 10:08 AM
2nd Gear

Do you have the owners manual. The Bose Symphony manual should have the sticker in the front with the radio SAFE code on it. If someone has tossed all that out (I never understood the mentality of people tossing that stuff out) you may have to go the dealer and have them look it up with the VIN.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:14 PM
1st Gear

all is good with the transmission now !!! yaaa. Booo now my car just started leaking antifreeze it looks like it is leaking down on the left side where lower hose connects to the radiator . anyone know where this hose leads too and is it hard to replace ? this is my first Audi I know it a 2002 with 171K miles but it a very nice car that came from GA. and the people I purchased it from took really good care of it. thanks for your help mike

Old 03-31-2017, 10:16 AM
2nd Gear

You'll have to remove the plastic tray from under the engine to get to it a lot easier. Should be 4 or 5 small bolts and a few plastic clips (or screws) that tie it to the wheel well shields. Looking at a picture of the hose online, it appears to go to a plastic t-connector about a foot or so away. Shouldn't be too hard to eyeball once you get that shield off.

Old 04-01-2017, 10:07 PM
1st Gear

will the water pump leak if it goes bad ? I watched a youtube video where the guy changed his water pump he removed the whole front end of the car . the bumper guards.the headlights, cooling fans , and the radiator is this necessary? if I have to do this I am going to replace the timing belts while it all apart. I see in the video this bar that holds cam gear in time . where would I get one of these bars thanks for the help

Old 04-03-2017, 10:54 AM
2nd Gear

Yes you 'll need to remove the front bumper and such. It's not nearly as difficult as it looks. And it's the ONLY way to get to the front of the engine to do the job. You don't have to totally remove it but just undo the radiator hoses on the passenger side leaving the transmission cooler lines and AC stuff alone on the drivers side. The front will swing out enough to work on it.

Look on Youtube and see if there are some videos showing how to remove the front fascia. You can get the bar and crank lock pin off an eBay vendor. I got mine there last year when I had to replace the cam chain tensioners on my 4.2.