General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Transmission-torque converter- please advise

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 05:08 PM
1st Gear
Default Transmission-torque converter- please advise

2002 Audi Allroad
Automatic, 2.7T
Miles: 107,000
Purchase: $5,350
Purchased from used lot 1 month ago.
Problems started 1 week after purchase.

Issue 1:
Check engine light with codes for torque converter solenoid stuck off and 3 others not sure what they were.

Action:
*Took to transmission shop, say at least need torque converter and reverse box as reverse slips and sometimes does not work $3,100 could need new transmission won’t know until into it.
*Took to Audi dealership, say needs torque converter $3,100. Also say due for timing belt, water pump, idlers and pullies $3,100 or other shop quote $1,300. Now paranoid about these items as failure could be catastrophic damage to engine ect.
*Look into buying used or remanufactured transmission online $1,000-$5,000, concern with this is that most don’t have warranty or only 30 days and worried about having same issue.
*Have at yet another shop today to see if I can get it narrowed down more and some other issues looked at.

Issue 2:
When car has been sitting for a couple hours during day and start it battery light is on and radio not putting out any sound if I let it sit for a few and run and rev it then battery gauge jumps up and light goes off and radio comes on and seems fine until its turned off again for a few and back on. But does not do this when it’s been sitting all night. Also during time while battery light on it sound like a small jet engine. If I try to drive while battery light on it beeps at me and several other lights come on such as abs, and yellow triangle with ! and a couple others and doesn’t want to go.

Issue 3:
Has now gone into what I understand to be limp or safe mode 4 times on me yesterday and the day before . Read about this on some forums. So turn car back off and back on then has been back out of limp mode and seems ok to turn off and on twice in row once to get it out.

Also now after reading online concerned about other major components of the car such as turbos and air suspension as they can be very costly repairs as well.

Got in contact with used lot as soon as light came on they have had a couple ideas to “help” me out but mostly just getting the run around. Side note which is just more of a rant also found out from shop it’s at today that used lot was aware of torque converter issue just not the possible extent of it and find out that lot owners wife had been driving car for last year and half. Anyways their solutions have varied from (1) purchase me a transmission on ebay for $1,000 and see if they can pull some string as shop to get install a little less (worried because as stated above no warranty could have same issue) (2) buy extended warranty back date to date of purchase and wait 60-90 days and turn in on that. This option felt dishonest and shady to me dealer assures me that it’s a standard practice and it’s not dishonest and no one would get into any trouble over this. Still not liking this option much.

So what I am looking for is thoughts, opinions, experiences, ect that others have had. Should I put the $ out to do all the work on the car would want to get at least the life of the loan out of it (5 yrs, would have to borrow more to have the work done), do the min. and then get rid of it, not do any and just try to get rid of it as is and eat the loss that way? What would you all do or any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank You

Old 12-25-2014, 04:05 PM
1st Gear

Shitty deal man. Having been through some of those issues on my own 2.7T a few years back. If you do go the used transmission route, at least install a remanufactured torque converter. It's a seal in the torque converter that fails preventing the transmission from locking up in higher gears. Results in higher fuel mileage, emissions, and tranny temps. Issue 2, might just need a new alternator.
The timing belt service, if there is no record of being done, you'll need to get it done. A little research prior to purchase would have saved you some grief there, or at least given you some extra bargaining power. Mine had a lot of work done on it prior to purchase, and I did a lot myself. If you haven't had the PCV system taken care of, it's likely going to pop up soon too. do you smell burning oil at any time? If so, that'll be leaking valve covers, onto the turbos. They're a fun car, but I unloaded mine. It was just one thing after another. When I sold it, it was throwing code for the o2 sensor. Gave the new owner the sensor, and vag com cable with the car.