Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

2001 A4 B5 1.8T Airbox Mod (Write-up)

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 08:14 AM
1st Gear

can i just add that the issue of hydrolock is very minimal. you would have to drive in a pond or lake of water that the water level is above both air intake tubes inside the air box. if the water level reaches the airbox lower half it will suck in air from the stock tube because of pressure.. it would take alot of vacuum to suck that much water up.

think of it this way, if you take a cai with cone filter and submerse the top part of the cone in water but not all of it, it may suck up drops at a time because air rushing in may bring some but it will not hydrolock unless the entire cone is submersed.

also even it it got colder air it wont help much after the engine bay warms up because the airbox will be heat soaked. maybe a couple degrees.

i have tried this mod and went back because the noise is quite annoying. to me it sounds like a NA car with a cai(you know that droning noise when WOT).

as seen in the photo, this is called whale ***** intake because the way it looks. its for hondas, but the idea would make sense here because of the turbo.

this way air is channeled toward the turbo intake. much like an exhaust should taper down near the end of the exhaust stream because the gasses cool down and become more dense. it occupies less space so it must taper down to keep velocity up.

and ozzyman1001 thats a check valve

Audi B5 A4 Quattro 1.8T > Engine > Intake > Check Valves > ES#259630 Check Valve - Priced Each - 058905291K

Attached Thumbnails 2001 A4 B5 1.8T Airbox Mod (Write-up)-password-jdm-carbon-fiber-powerchamber-intake-dc2-integra-w-abs-large.jpg  
Old 07-31-2015, 09:35 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by x2050
Alright everyone so after great lengths of research and surfing the web, I came to the conclusion that I'd like to mod my airbox instead of going with the intake kit.
*Disclaimer: I am in no way responsible for any damage done while applying this mod, although if directions are followed exactly, there should be no problems at all.*

Also, credits go to ~ DIY: B5 A4 1.8T - Air Box Mod ~ (His box was setup a little different than my 2001, and not very many pictures so I figured I'd write one up here.... audiforums for life)

What will this mod do?
Modding your airbox is a cheaper DIY project done as an alternative to an aftermarket cold air intake kit. Cold air from the outside will be used instead of the nasty hot engine air with your stock airbox.

Expect:
1. Slightly deeper engine growl
2. Better gas efficiency
3. A nice blowoff sound from your stock DV
4. Some report a gain in power, but I couldnt tell a noticeable difference

Now, on to the fun stuff
TOOLS YOU WILL NEED:
  • 1 3/4 In. Drill bit w/ power drill (or whatever desired size)
  • Phillips head screwdriver
  • Flathead Screwdriver
  • Dremel or precision cutting instrument
  • Weather Stripping (Optional)
  • 11" Zip ties (Optional)

Now, we're ready to begin.

Step 1:
Remove the plastic covering on top of the airbox, located on the left side under the hood (Apologize for lack of photo) it should just pop off with a little pull

Step 2:
Remove the screws holding the heat shield in place (Phillips head)

Step 3:
Remove all the plugs and hoses and such keeping you from getting the top of your airbox off.

The only things that should be left keeping the airbox together are small metal clamps around the edges, very simple to remove, and the MAF Sensor plug. I found it much easier just to leave the plug in place and sort of rotate the top of the box off and rest it on the block.

Step 4:
Now you should be able to pull off the top of your airbox, move it out of the way, and remove the bottom portion out of your car. Simple pull out your filter and set it aside. You should be left with something like this:

Step 5:
Now that you have the airbox free, we can begin working on the mod. First remove the Filter support bars by simply unpopping them, next, Unscrew the two phillips head screws and pop that guy out, then you will be left with a cleaned out airbox; here comes the fun part. Where I have outlined in purple, you will use your Dremel to cut this section completely out. After you have it cut out, place the bottom portion BACK in the car, exactly as if you were putting it back for good, secured in place and then use something to outline the area you cut out, on your fender wall.

Step 6 (Optional but recommended):
Now that you have the airbox cut out, apply the sticky side of the weather stripping to the OUTSIDE of the box like so:

Step 7 (Optional):
When I was about to begin cutting the holes in the fender wall, I noticed it was fairly loose, just sort of hanging there. Quick ghetto fix: Zip ties. I drilled small holes in the fender wall and zip tied it at different points , fitting it snugger up against where the airbox will be.

Step 8:
Now, you should have your cut out, weather stripped airbox, and a tightly fitting fender wall. Time to get to drillin. Drill lots of holes, basically just trying to cover your marked off area, whatever looks aesthetically pleasing.
Clean out all that plastic drill gunk, and pop your airbox back into place. It should look something like this (BTW This was pre-cleanup because I drilled the holes while the airbox was already secured in there)
As you can see, I have also drilled more zip tie holes for a tighter seal.

Now, go back and put everything JUST like it was, down to every little detail....make sure clamps are tight, screws, etc etc.

And youre done!!!
As a side note, while your already messin around in the airbox, I found it a good chance to go ahead and bite the bullet and invest in a K&N box filter

I'm extremely new to the import world, audiforums.com world, and Audi world in general! SO if anyone more experienced and knowledgeable sees something wrong with anything in this guide PLEASE let me know and I will fix it right away!

Happy Modding!
What about carwashes does water get in then? Just did this to my a4

Old 07-31-2015, 09:36 PM
1st Gear

Need to wash my a4 just cut the holes wanna know if water gets in then