Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Air Intake Manifold Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 03:20 AM
1st Gear
Default Air Intake Manifold Replacement

Hey guys,

I drive a 2009 Audi A4 2.0T. It's been a really fun car but the last few months have been nightmares. On top of a leaky shock, busted fuel injectors, and a bunch of other nightmares, I've managed to put just shy of 1000 miles on the car in the past 3 months and wracked up nearly $7,000 of repairs.

I've always trusted my mechanic but this last conversation left a bad taste in my mouth. I'm going to explain to you what he informed me as best as I can remember, and I'd appreciate it if anyone could give some insight as to whether this sounds legitimate or not.

I was driving my car and the Check Engine light came on. I had no choice but the drive the car another 40 miles, after which point I parked it. The next day I brought it into the shop. The code reading indicates something wrong with the air intake valve/manifold. After paying $160 for a diagnostic fee, my mechanic informs me that there is a butterfly valve in the intake manifold that changes depending on what the most efficient amount of air to intake at any given time is. (this is what I recall, not positive this is verbatim) There is an actuator on the valve, and something (a lever maybe) appeared to be stuck. They unstuck the lever and dismissed the check engine light. However after driving the car for 300 yards it came back on. He suspects it's the sensor. He suggested I just get a replacement air intake manifold as they come with a new sensor. I trusted his suggestion and said fine... but then he quoted me 4 hours labor. That sounds excessive... is that the normal amount of time it would take to replace an air intake manifold? Thanks for your help guys, just trying not to get stiffed.

Old 07-27-2016, 12:56 PM
2nd Gear

Not an unreasonable amount of time if you've ever worked on some of these newer cars. However, the $160 diagnostic fee is a rip-off in my book.

Old 01-20-2017, 09:32 PM
1st Gear

I hate to be the bearer of bad news here... Sounds like you're not too much of a "do it yourselfer", I agree with Dave about the huge ripoff on the diagnostics for a simple OBDii read.
I would also suggest that yes, 4 hours plus the part. (a whole new intake manifold because it has the sensor) is a huge rip off. I would google if I were you just the sensor. The intake manifold "butterfly" or the Throttle Body can be reprogrammed or recalibrated, so the ECU knows its position for idle, half throttle, and wide open. (see for ex: Throttle Body Alignment (TBA) - Ross-Tech Wiki) )
This is a simple and very quick process with a Vagcom.
I would also say that your mechanic did indeed try this and when you left and got no further than a mile down the road and the light came back on that there is indeed an issue with the intake or just the sensor. Again, I would try for just the sensor first for several reason, 1) Its the most likely failure and issue. 2) Its cheaper. 3) It takes 15 minutes of labor to replace(not four hrs) 4) If indeed the intake manifold is toast, you still have a new sensor to go along with a new intake, so be you do need it. Also I would still be lil weary if your mechanic tries to suggest replacing the whole intake manifold, opposed to just the sensor and or a intake manifold gasket, unless he has very good evidence for it, such as a freaking hole in the intake manifold!

Last edited by gearhead77; 01-20-2017 at 09:53 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:37 PM
1st Gear

Heres good quote for a new OEM throttle body, with "the butterfly, and sensor," https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/363...HuEaAro48P8HAQ

ALso here is a link for JUST the MAP sensor. http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/2013840...&ul_noapp=true

I would advise you to do your own research however to ensure the proper sensor and or part you might need, as for all I did was a quick google of the part. You may just want to call your local Auto Parts store and ask them for the part if your uncomfortable finding it online.

Last edited by gearhead77; 01-20-2017 at 10:04 PM.