Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

K&N airfilter, worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 06:16 AM
1st Gear
Default K&N airfilter, worth it?

Hello everyone, I have a 06 A4 3.2L and I would like to improve the performance of the vehicle. The first mod I am considering is an K&N airfilter. Will this actually give me more hp or is it more a washable lifetime filter?

Old 02-05-2009, 09:46 PM
1st Gear

More specially does anyone know off hand what % increase the drop in filters are said to increase hp?

Also, I noticed that it appears that the stock air intake is trying to go for somewhat of a ram air effect based on the location of the air intake.

Name:  IMG_0489.jpg
Views: 915
Size:  95.5 KB

I look at something like this and wonder if I should even consider a K&N High Performance Air Intake Kit. Anyone have some thoughts on this?

Last edited by Rtitle; 02-05-2009 at 11:54 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:04 PM
1st Gear
Thumbs down

I have the same question i cant find any intake upgrades for the 3.2 fsi engine, Im also thinking of going with the k&n i sent an email to VF engineering this is what i sent and this is what they replied:

Hello,
My name is Polo i was wondering if your intake will fit my 2007 audi
a4 3.2 quattro 6mt. I know it says it is for the a3 3.2 will it fit some modification?

Replies:

It is not a direct bolt on, however many of our customers were able to
quickly modify it to fit.
Thanks!
-Sean

I later asked them if they ever planned on developing a intake system for the 3.2 Fsi engine and this is what they replied:

Hi Polo,
No, we do not have enough interest for this application.
Thanks!
-Sean

It appears a lot of the 3.2 buyers just dont give a rats *** for performance or even for the sound of the engine and that sucks. I know people always tell me why didnt i get the 2.0T if i wanted to mod my car but i think the 3.2 fsi is a great engine torque wise and sound wise i just wanted a little intake sound and a little bump in performance.

BTW, i also called neuspeed and apr and they answered the same thing as vf engineering that they did not have interest in making a product for the 3.2 FSI engine. Im seriously thinking about making an intake system for this engine and selling it, i would be rich probably the only guy who makes it in the world!!!!

Last edited by pcasso87; 02-09-2009 at 07:09 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:25 AM

I have yet to try a K&N in an Audi, but I had fantastic results when I installed one in my Lexus and Ford truck. It helped gas mileage somewhat, and the car accelerated quicker.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:29 PM

To each his own, build your own if you want.

Be sure to take your time, dont cut corners, if its legit enough, you may get noticed by people who could mass produce it. Good Luck!

Old 02-11-2009, 08:41 PM
1st Gear

Im going with the BMC carbon fiber filter, its going to be custom tailored by P.G. performance, i will post some pics as soon as we are done with it.

Old 02-13-2009, 03:48 AM
2nd Gear

Not sure if this applies to B6s or B7s, but here you go:

https://www.audiforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=122292

Personally I've decided to go ahead with the Darintake mod. It seems to have the most bang for the buck. It costs you virtually nothing.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:55 AM
1st Gear

Do you happen to have the BMC carbon fiber filter website handy?

This summer I am planning on doing some mods to my car and like I did in the past with my explorer, I will start with the intake. It was years ago but I went from 160 hp at the flywheel to 200 hp at the wheels. That is a huge increase and I had it dnyo'd. That was basically a 90 hp increase on a 4.0L V6, you lose a lot of hp going through the transmission.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:09 AM
1st Gear
Question Drop-In K & N airfilter for 2002 A4 1.8 T Quattro

So what do you guys think? Is it worth replacing the OEM type for the K & N drop in air filter? Anyone notice a difference in performance or fuel economy?

Old 03-03-2009, 12:15 AM
Default cai

i put a k&n in my a4 and didn't notice any difference in skool we put one on a jetta and it lost 13 hp on the dyno the audis have pretty good set ups from the start thats my opinion

Quick Reply: K&N airfilter, worth it?