Member Builds/Projects Members projects showcased here. Car-related, Audi-preferred, but feel free to post up ANY car build you've done or are involved with.

Audi B5 420-R: The Build.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:02 PM
1st Gear

Update: 24th January, 2016.

After 3 tries, my aluminium radiator is finally right. The inlet and outlet pipes have been modified to my satisfaction, and now clear the alternator, and timing belt cover.

The 1.8T crossmember I had already notched to clear the aircon compressor, but it just needed to be welded. That has also been done, I painted it and fitted it. Perfect fit. I have trial fitted the radiator, condenser and front bumper. I still have space for a pair of 10" puller fans, which I'm happy with. I will run an additional B5 S4 pusher fan on the condenser side.

I'm waiting for my 4.11:1 rear differential. I need to fit my C5 RS6 steering rack to vane pump high-pressure line, plumb in the engine and transmission oil coolers, plumb in the short feed line from the power steering resovoir to vane pump, reinforce the top of the lock carrier with an angled steel bar.

I haven't ordered my puller fans yet, this I will do sometime in the week. Once the pullers are fitted, I can bolt on the lock carrier, radiator and condenser for good.

Some pictures. Note the notched B5 4 cylinder lower crossmember, and more than adequate clearance between the notched area and compressor pulley:

Old 02-02-2016, 07:03 PM
1st Gear

It looks like my 4.11:1 rear differential will be delayed after all.

I located a B5 2.5 V6 TDI Quattro on eBay for $317. Made a cheeky offer of $164, which the seller accepted. No car in the picture, just the diff.

The 2.5 V6 TDI comes with an 01E 6-speed as standard, meaning the rear differential would be a 4.11:1. Something told me to check the code of the diff offered by the eBay seller. He didn't have it to hand yesterday, but he did tell me it was a tip. And today he confirmed the code:

DAJ, with a 3.89:1 final drive. Meaning it's no good, being exactly the same as the diff on the 2.8 30V manual.

I did manage to track down a genuine B5 RS4 (DQA) from a guy in Germany I'd bought some RS4 parts from in the past. $150 shipped, which is a steal!

I have the option of buying a pair of B5 S4 rear axles to match the RS4's 108mm output flanges, or swapping the RS4's 108mm output flanges with my 100mm A4Q items, and retaining my stock axles. I'll decide what route to take once the differential is in my hands.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:04 PM
1st Gear

I have been looking into cooling the big V8 motor.

As I reported previously, my installation leaves room between the radiator and engine for a pair of 10" puller fans. Pullers drawing air through the core and through the engine bay are more efficient than pushers mounted at the front of the radiator.

I am supplementing the twin pullers with a single pusher, using none other than an OEM B5 S4 280W fan, mounted using the original B5 S4 upper and owner brackets. Also, in my quest to keep this car as close to OEM as possible, the fans will be controlled by an original B5 S4 / RS4 cooling fan control module. The module will control 2 fans.

I have ordered the fan off eBay, and purchased the wiring harness brand new. All that's left is the controller, and fan OEM upper and lower mounting brackets.

For reference, below is the parts list for the required parts:

B5 Audi S4 Cooling Parts.

Pusher fan - 4B3 959 457
Upper retaining rod - 8D0 959 467
Lower retaining bracket - 8D0 959 497
Cooling fan control module - 8D0 959 501 B
Twin electric fan / compressor harness - 8D2 971 725 P

Old 02-04-2016, 03:19 PM
1st Gear

My B5 RS4 rear differential turned up from The Fatherland yesterday. I'll be installing it over the weekend.

Old 02-04-2016, 03:21 PM
1st Gear

Old 02-06-2016, 02:49 PM
1st Gear

Update: 06th February, 2016:

I have finally pulled my DAJ (3.89:1) rear differential, and installed the B5 RS4 replacement, DQA (4.11:1). So the rear of the propshaft is bolted up. At the same time, I discovered the source of a persistent grating noise, which has been speed-related. The previous owner told me the noise had been present for almost a year before I purchased the car, and he'd had both rear wheel bearings replaced in an attempt to get rid of it.

The right hand output shaft seal was pretty much non-existent, with drips of oil sitting on the axle shaft flange. I drained the oil, as I had to swap over the output flanges - replace the B5 RS4 108mm ones with the B5 A4Q 100mm items. I got just over a litre of dead oil, with minute steel filings. The oil was completely black.

Next is to install the middle and rear section of the exhaust.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:12 PM
1st Gear

Nice work. good luck on the build

Old 02-13-2016, 04:27 PM
1st Gear

Update: 13th February, 2016.

Last night, for the first time I started this project, B5 420-R finally fired up.

Some may recall, I ended up with 2 ECU's. I originally intended to use the 2005 D3 4.2 ECU, and had the immobiliser defeated. I later realised the D3 ECU gets it's VSS via the ABS, unlike the B5 / early C5 cars, which had a speed transducer mounted on the front differential.

I also discovered the D3 4.2 V8 40V engine is mechanically similar to the V8 used in the facelift D2 S8, down to the dual-stage intake plenum. Coupled with the fact the D2 S8 ECU will permit a higher redline, and accept a manual coding, it was a no brainier as to which ECU I used.

The S8 ECU is plugged into my car, though the engine only runs for about 3 seconds before shutting down, with the flashing key symbol in my cluster...

...yes, I have not had the immobiliser defeated in the S8 ECU, and this is for one reason. Due to my building a hybrid wiring harness for the D3 40V motor (2000 C5 S6 / 2005 D3 A8) there is potentially more room for error. With a V8 32V, or V8 40V from a D2 or C5, I can pretty much wire these up, and fire up with the whole car ready to drive, no need to leave the front stripped in case I need to check wiring. This is because I have fully mastered what goes where.

If I had the S8 ECU immobiliser defeated BEFORE I'd verified everything was good, and the engine wouldn't run, it would be much more difficult to trouble-shoot. I would have to work out if a non-start condition was due to an error in my wiring, or a bricked ECU by the IMMO-defeat process.

Now I can confidently send the D2 S8 ECU off to get the immobiliser defeated. I would have at least tried the IMMO-defeated D3 ECU, but there are minor differences in the pin-outs, enough to mean re-pinning the ECU connector.

I still need to swap the high-pressure line from the power steering rack to the vane pump, with my C5 RS6 hose, and plumb in my oil cooler (I simply looped the intake and outlets of the C5 RS6 sandwich plate to allow a quick start). Then I can finally fit the lock carrier for the last time, and connect the coolant hoses.

Old 02-19-2016, 05:56 PM
1st Gear

Just starting to wrap things up in Phase I.

With all systems functioning as they should, I can now send off the D2 S8 ME 7.1.1 ECU for its immobiliser defeat. The exhaust is all fitted, though as anyone who knows the B5 2.8 Quattro / S4 well, would be aware the twin pipes to the cats are not equal in length, they are staggered.

I have purchased an extra metre of T304 grade 2.5" stainless pipe, and matching sleeves. I don't want step-downs.

After all this time, the battery is still okay. This will remain in its original location, meaning no C5 RS6 coolant expansion tank, which on RHD cars sits behind the false firewall, in the battery's location (battery sits in the luggage compartment). I will be fitting a new, clean OEM B5 tank in it's original location too. I want the engine bay to look as OEM as possible, the way a factory B5 V8 would have looked.

I still need to decide what to do about my lower front arms - go with new OEM replacements, or get spherical bearings pressed in. Still undecided.

Tie up the front end - fit my oil cooler pipes, C5 RS6 power steering high pressure line, either retaining the original B5 steering fluid resovoir, or fitting a black one from a B6 - I have a spare. Fit my fans, replace B5 cooling fans control module and harness with B5 S4 items, connect hoses, fit lock carrier for good.

I also need to book the car in at my Audi dealership, to get the aircon system charged up. This weekend, I'll be filling up the 01E transmission and B5 RS4 rear differential. I'm picking up a workshop dispensing pump, it makes getting the gear oil into the filler holes a breeze.

I sat in the car last night, while I was checking everything worked, and it felt good. The interior is much nicer than that of my B5 2.5 TDI V6 Quattro, it still smells of supple, well cared for leather. The car should be back on the road next month.

Then on to Phase II.

Old 02-23-2016, 03:57 PM
1st Gear

Update: 23rd February, 2016.

I shipped my 2001 D2 S8 (ME7.1.1) off yesterday to get the immobiliser defeated. It was received by Vagtronics, who sent me a text alert 20 minutes ago, to let me know it's all done, and is on its way back to me. It will be with me by or before 13:00 hrs tomorrow.

I pulled the front end today (they were not bolted in place) to install my hybrid power steering high-pressure line. I ended up not using the C5 RS6 line. I had to pull the right-hand Milltek decat pipe for improved access, but it was still a bitch. It's one thing removing an existing line, quite a different job fitting a replacement. The worst part of the job (after the grief of actually routing the hose) is getting the banjo and washers in place. Took me almost half an hour getting the thread to take.

I ended up swapping the B5 power steering fluid resovoir for a B6 plain black one.

The rear differential has been filled with fresh oil. The transmission I haven't filled yet, as I have not tied up the oil cooler lines.

I reinstalled the decat pipe, and complete exhaust system is now buttoned up.

I ordered a 7-row oil cooler for my 01E. It doesn't really need to be any larger. I removed one of the C5 RS6 sandwich plate couplings, as I need to visit my hydraulic shop to get a pair of ends for the oil cooler lines. I'm most likely going to mount both oil coolers (engine and trans) under the right-hand frame rail.

Pictures of both oil coolers:

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Audi B5 420-R: The Build.