Member Builds/Projects Members projects showcased here. Car-related, Audi-preferred, but feel free to post up ANY car build you've done or are involved with.

Yankee Express

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 10:25 AM
1st Gear
Default Yankee Express

Hi all, I need help installing the dash center tower that holds radio and hvac behind it. Im installing a 2001 Audi Allroad Quattro interior in my 1967 Coronet street machine build. I could use factory pics of the way the tower framing goes together, the parts that hold the Symphony radio and hvac controls inside the tower. Thanks. I read a replace the heater core thread here and it was somewhat helpful but could really use some factory manual drawings/ schematics of the metal frames to either side of the radio tower under the plastic console tower shell. Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Yankee Express-img_1494.jpg   Yankee Express-img_1495.jpg   Yankee Express-img_1500.jpg   Yankee Express-img_1506.jpg   Yankee Express-img_1505.jpg  

Old 10-07-2015, 01:56 PM
Former Sponsor

This is my first time seeing an Audi interior in a street rod like this. I actually think it will come out quite nicely. Good luck with your build.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:25 PM
1st Gear

Thanks Julie, I pulled the heat and A/C today from the donor and the wiring harness. I removed the mounting bolt plates for the dash frame and will need to fabricate some brackets for them to attach to. I will also have to fabricate some extensions for the in and out tubes from the heater into the engine bay as the stock Audi ones would enter the bay right behind the right cylinder head. The fellas on the MOPAR forum think it will fly and so do I. Amazingly it looks quite at home in there.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:00 PM
Former Sponsor

It sounds like the project is coming along quite well. Thanks for sharing and please keep us updated with your progress. I definitely want to see how it comes out.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:12 PM
1st Gear

I will Julie, and thanks for your interest. As a "concept" car it also is getting 67 Charger tail lights, a 1970 Roadrunner front and rear bumper, and maybe a '70 Roadrunner hood as well. Plus the front fender leading edges are being rolled back to square with the hood.

Old 11-29-2019, 11:40 PM
1st Gear
Default I'mmm baaacckkkkkkkk...

Hello Julie, if you still exist, and everyone else! The Express has come a long way since 2015 and it's now at the point where I need to work out some wiring issues and I could use some help with that! The body is ready for paint, all the mods are finished, fabrication is complete and I'm now fine tuning separate systems so they will be ready to install after paint. I have turned my attention to the wiring nightmare that awaits me. I have to marry up 1967 Dodge Charger hidden headlights, a 1970 440 BB V8, 1966 Ford Thunderbird tail lights and 1967 Dodge Coronet engine harness and remaining lights. to a 2001 Audi dash and ECU. I know.
So, what I think I know so far is that the speedo works off of a pulse from the trans. The A727 trans doesn't do that, but, they make an adapter that does so that's done. The harnesses for the doors are good, seats are good, so what I need help with is the rest.
So here's the questions I have at the moment;
Splicing cut wires, okay to lap join ends and solder with heat shrink to protect? Or what?
Do ALL of the wires operate via a pulse signal to the ECU? If not, which do?
If all are pulse type, can the sending units be fitted to the 440?
There are some things that I clearly will have no need to hook up. What must I do with these wires in order to not have code issues/ECU faults?
The motor is carbureted so there are no sensors, no throttle body no MAF etc.
Will the ECU work without connecting every last thing it thinks it should be getting readings from?
That will do for starters and I'm sure many more will crop up as I go. TIA. Ghost.

Old 01-05-2024, 06:15 AM
1st Gear

To install the dash center tower for your 2001 Audi Allroad Quattro interior into a 1967 Coronet Street machine, seek assistance from Audi's official service manuals or contact Audi's customer service for schematic drawings. You may also explore automotive restoration forums, where enthusiasts often share resources or experiences with similar projects. Consider joining online communities or reaching out to vintage car restoration experts who may have access to detailed diagrams or can provide guidance based on their expertise. Local libraries or automotive literature dealers might also have resources or manuals that can aid in the installation process.