New Member Welcome Area Are you new to Audi Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to Audiforum & Audis, NewZealand

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 08:03 AM
1st Gear
Default New to Audiforum & Audis, NewZealand

Hi, I have just bought a 2001 A4 B5 auto 2.4 30v, 287000kms, and after searching about replacing timing belts, found this forum.

There's a amazing amount of info here and since I'm doing my own maintenance.... Its a valuable resource.

Thankyou for the chance to join AF

Old 01-13-2017, 03:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome aboard! I'm sure you will find tons of information and great ideas for your A4 on here! Feel free to ask away if you are looking for any advice!

Old 02-14-2018, 09:25 AM
1st Gear

Since buying that car I have picked up..
a '89 80, broken left headlight and it turns out the number plates are dead (I was told it was still current) it needs a few parts, somebody started a small fire in the engine bay by pouring petrol into the carby, no air filter etc at all, no cambelt cover.
Good for parts now. I paid NZ$100 (US70) and did some demolition work for him on a house.

A '96 A4 B5 1800 NZ$250 180,000 kms. Broken gearbox, ATM the CV has been unbolted so I could tow it home. Engines good, has throttle cable. Non computer climate control.

À '97 A4 B5 1800 160,000kms. NZ$315. Broken gearbox, no reverse, key mechanisms messed up, so just after buying it, 600kms from home, the starters still engaged as I'm driving and then it burns out.
( Hint, if you ever hear a weird noise from your vehicle, its worth the time to stop and check to see what it is..)
Spent 2 days on the side of a roundabout with two lane major highway (for NZ anyway) traffic zooming by.
Coincidentally I found a starter for sale (turbo1800 version, exact same starter) about a hour before I started looking for one.
NZ$65, fitted it myself on the side of the road and drove it the 600+ kms home in one go.
Checked trans fluid to find its a pink milkshake colour, there's a aftermarket transcooler on it. At some point something's leaked water into the trans.
Its sat there since and for some reason the oil levels got higher, cannot budge the sump plug yet. And the transfluid leaked out suddenly, dunno what percent of it or why.
Its a Japanese 2nd hand import, different trunk shape, orange side indicators, different door handles & rear indicator lenses.

2001 A4 B5 1800 NZ$400 210,000 kms (+$100 to get it here, 120km round trip inc trailer hire, the owners Father liked the idea of a day trip & she liked the idea of holding $4oo ca$h.)
APT engine, ex Singapore.
Sold to me as "good condition, blown head gasket".
He mentions he can drive it off the trailer, before it overheats. (Hmmmm odd, I think)
So I check it over and find... A broken water pump belt!

It must be the smallest ' A ' section belt ever made, nobody had one on a Saturday.
But it was a nice sunny day to be out and there's a motoring convention in town that weekend, hence the owners Father's idea of dropping it off for what it would cost me anyway.
Even my washing MC has a larger belt..
So, Monday, 2nd place I try has one.. Neat. The belt has no adjustment, you have to have the correct belt. NZ$11.
To fit, lever the serptine belt loose with a spanner and jam it on a bolt head that's there, it will work..
Fit the belt, there's not much room but it can be done, on to the drive pully, shake the belt so its into the groove, then fit the belt to the top of the power steering pump pully, wind the pully around so it grabs the belt a bit, hold it there by hand and loosen the spanner so the adjuster comes back, it will try to pull the belt off a bit, so its gonna take a few goes to learn.
Then, with the 1 X 2 by 2 & 1/2 foot long bit of wood you had.. Use it to hold the belt in place at the 3 + o'clock position on the power steering pump pully, jam it in place by the radiator support bracket with whatever you found to do that job.
If its all stuck in place now.. Trust me. Walk around to the ignition and turn the key so the engine almost starts.
Walk back to find the 1 x 2 sitting there loose and the belt on both pulleys.
You CAN do it by yourself.

Hmm hmm, I go for a drive, everything's good with the temp gauge now. Stop back at home and its used no water. So its not leaking into the motor.

But its not going over 4000 rpm, and has some bad gearbox changes.

I think. First. Not sucking in enough air maybe? = air filter. New car, its gonna be done soon anyway. Check that out first.
Its not dirty, dry & dusty & needs replaced yes, but not blocked.

Hmm. Im looking at the MAF sensor.. OK, I got some security screwbits, I might as well use them.
I undo it and the plastic plate covering the ceramic circuit boards loose, the glues hardened and cracked.
I have some 'Carby cleaner spray' [ Warning. Not for use on MAF sensors ]
. Now I know why.....

Its because its the perfect solvent for softening the glue holding the plastic plate on..
Which turns soft and into something like Pine tree gum.

But, it does a hell of a great job of cleaning the actual sensor!
So I smear the pine tree sap glue back around the plates edges, and into the seat it sits into, glueing it back into place. It sets hard(ish) in a hour.
So I assemble the air intake system, wait a bit and fit it.

Removes 2 sparkplugs to find everything swimming in thick dark oil.
Sucks out oil, sprays in engine cleaner, & sucks that out, again, again, again. Till clean.
Cleans leads plug end, 1 needs the rubber boot replaced. Fits it back.

Takes it out for a run. It hits 140kmh... 6500 rpm.

The gearbox is shifting slowly, it over revs after changing out of gear and I have to back off a bit before it shifts up a gear, or there's a solid 'Thump' as it engages.
And a sorta lumpy idle/vibration. Miss firing I guess.
I expect its low on ATF fluid. Hopefully.

I checked to see what ATF fluid it uses. The Castrol products green, not a good sign for the 'Pink milkshake' in the other B5 1800.

So maybe I will change the fluid/filter the B5 2.4 (3 1/2 litres)
And reuse the old fluid and see if the 2001 B5 1800 could use some more, and see what its colour is.

Then maybe if its good, replace the trans filter/fluid in the 2001 B5 1800 too (6+litres!!!??)

Then use all the old used fluid to flush the 'Pink Milkshake' out of 1996 B5 1800.
But, I was also told that the clutch linings glue is "Water based" & "Any water at any time is going to ruin them anyway".

The 2001 1800 has yellow coolant.… As far as I know, its supposed to be Pink G12 (or G13)
My 2001 B5 2.4 has yellow coolant too. Both of them have little tiny ***** of yellow goop floating around in the coolant.
This is not a good sign…

For the last year I have been suspecting the 2.4 of having a thermostat stuck open Because it hardly ever got up to 70-80 deg C.
Its a colder climate here, -6 winter to 24°C Summer. It uses a lot of petrol too. So I blocked off the radiator surface with some cardboard. Tiny leak noticed about then too.
Then combo of leaked fluid, radiator blocked off, extra people in the car.
It overheated and blew out lots of coolant.
From part #078121121k
Its the plastic ( Plastic!!!! FFS why plastic!!) Thermostat housing. So its split it more, I top it up every few trips. I ordered a replacement Aluminium 078121121j from Lithuania, it cost me NZ$72 inc the $48 postage..
It took 4 days to arrive here, lil 'ol NZ from former Soviet Lithuania middle of Europe. LoL.
Audi knows the plastic versions a big weakness, they only fitted it for 3 years.

But, both the 2001s 1800 & 2400 heat up in the same way, gauging from the dashboard temp gauge & the two in the climate control (49 & 51)
The 2400 just takes ages on a mild or colder day. On a 25°C day (there's been a record breaking heatwave here this summer. 30°C +) with the AC on and it gets to 90 on the dashboard and stays there.
It jumps around a bit if you stop the engine for a while.
I read that others cars are doing that too and that its 'normal for Audis'.

The new cars got a 5 disc CD player and the original stereo, which sounds a fair bit better than the aftermarket stereo + original speakers in the 2001 B5 2.4. Weird?

Last edited by marteA4; 02-14-2018 at 10:08 AM.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:30 AM
1st Gear

I got a couple more A4 B5's...
Now I have
1986 80 1800 Dead numberplates
2001 A4 APS 2400 Needs outer CV & inner boot + thermostat + Ali thermostat housing + change trans oil/filter + CTS? + Cabin filter. Clean headlight glass & investigate suspension knock.
2001 A4 APT 1800 Needs Change Trans fluid/filter. Change oil/filter. Change Cabin filter. Rocker cover gasket.
1997 A4 ADR 1800 Needs trans fixed, no reverse. Possible trans selector switch + Trans fluid/filter + oil/filter
1996 A4 ADR 1800 Needs trans fixed, CV disconnected. Not investigated yet. Headlight glass cracked.
1997 A4 ADR 1800 Wagon. Fit stereo. Lowered & on Alloys later one piece headlights, no fog lights. No aircon belt.
1997 A4 ADR 1800 wagon. Blown head gasket, cars used for spare parts only. Live numberplates.

The wagon, (Metallic Blue) bought for NZ$100 + $400 for the (Gold/Silver) Alloys, lowered. It's had a frontal accident @ some point & it's been replaced with a later one piece headlight front. There's been some rough repair work done all over on it. I bought it 'As is, blown head gasket" so I could use the motor out of 1 of the other A4's.
First thing I checked was the oil cooler...
It's broken.
So I checked the oil cooler from the 'Spares A4 wagon' & it's OK. I swap it over & run the clay like coolant out till it's cleanish.
Drain oil & put 2nd hand oil & filter onto it ( to flush out crappy oil )
And start it up and it runs fantastic! Replaced left headlight as the adjuster screws broken.
Take it for a WOF & it needs a left lower arm, headlight alignment, & the spigot housings not bolted in properly, (accident damaged & not repaired properly) weld up one arm for it & find the other& bolt in the small arm too + a bracket for the guard & they pass the WOF (Warrant of fitness, = 6 months for NZ$60. Registration is $80 for 12 months).

The Stereo.
Have lots of them, matching up a working one with cables & correct amp setup is another matter....
So I find a nice one, which didn't work.. Another nice one, has no plugs.. Hang on, the sockets are the same.
So I swap the plugs setup over & take it to the car & notice the bundle of wires where the stereo was, has a similar yellow plug. And I notice 2 other identical plugs in there & find the Blaupunkt stereo shares the same plugs as the Audi stereo does!
& The Blaupunkt stereo also commands a 6 CD changer, so I check the back of the wagon to find a 6 CD changer already installed!

I take the centre console out, and find that the little black plug in the back of the Climate Control has fallen out.
It gets plugged back in & suddenly the ' E ' in the centre of the dashboard LCD changes to a '6.5 deg' &' when I turn the key on, the 'Flap flap flapping' noise under the dashboard has stopped (it did it for 15 seconds everytime I turned the key on ) & some button on the CC now works ( aircon? The frost symbol * )